How to start up a colony

smc85

7 hours ago, KatsKreations said:

I've been working towards teaching bearded dragon owners keeping their roaches with substrate and cleaner crews to help with lessening the "allergic" reactions.   

For red runners I haven't started substrate yet, do have lesser mealworms on hand.   Do you leave the egg cases where they fall?   I have about 14 egg cases so far and have been putting them in a deli cup with substrate to keep their humidity better.   

The only thing I am worried about is getting sick from keeping them I had really bad asthma as a kid and allergies so yeah but I also weld as my career so hopefully it won't bother me

On 3/23/2017 at 6:20 AM, smc85 said:

Sorry didn't want to quote it 

The only reason why I don't want substrate just to save money wise but we will see once I get a colony going

I am going to substrate for all due to the allergie issues that are being brought up a lot due to not keeping with cleaners and substrate

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/22/2017 at 10:32 PM, KatsKreations said:

I've been working towards teaching bearded dragon owners keeping their roaches with substrate and cleaner crews to help with lessening the "allergic" reactions.   

For red runners I haven't started substrate yet, do have lesser mealworms on hand.   Do you leave the egg cases where they fall?   I have about 14 egg cases so far and have been putting them in a deli cup with substrate to keep their humidity better.   

The only thing I am worried about is getting sick from keeping them I had really bad asthma as a kid and allergies so yeah but I also weld as my career so hopefully it won't bother me

I'm just looking to save on cash but keep them healthy at the same time

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Well bluntly speaking your honestly going to have to take the plunge and buy some, if you haven't already, since none of us know how your body is going to react and I doubt anyway wants to possibly risk telling you roaches are safe only to have you get sick, on that issue you need to use your judgement.

I don't know where people are getting its expensive to feed them I just use my dog's food and occasional fruit scraps, I haven't had to invest a cent directly into them. I suppose a large colony is a different story but you will have several months or longer before your roaches are numerous enough to require direct investment. But even then it's probably stll cheaper than buying crix once a week to feed your critters.

Edited by Tleilaxu