Hisser grain substrate?

KatsKreations

I have no idea if this is the right place for this.

I saw a youtube video where hissers were kept on oatmeal - thoughts?   I love the idea of food vs dirt/eco earth since some offspring will eventually be feeders but wasn't sure how practical this was.

1 hour ago, Manuel_P said:

I wouldn't do it

Why? I don't really want to get too specific, but think about mold, grain mites, bacteria, roach poop mixed with the grains they eat..

thanks.   I do it with my mealworms and superworms, so was wondering why it wasn't a thing with roaches too :D

Yeah, don't think that would work well with roaches, they need more moisture than what would be acceptable in an enclosure with a grain as the substrate. 

Honestly I don't even like using that method for mealworms, I got two shoeboxes full of the things and I just use coconut fiber as a substrate and feed them dog food etc in little food bowls, I had big problems with grain mites when I kept them on oatmeal...

12 minutes ago, Hisserdude said:

Yeah, don't think that would work well with roaches, they need more moisture than what would be acceptable in an enclosure with a grain as the substrate. 

Honestly I don't even like using that method for mealworms, I got two shoeboxes full of the things and I just use coconut fiber as a substrate and feed them dog food etc in little food bowls, I had big problems with grain mites when I kept them on oatmeal...

I've never had a problem with grain mites, and dog food isn't suggested when being fed to reptiles 

26 minutes ago, KatsKreations said:

I've never had a problem with grain mites, and dog food isn't suggested when being fed to reptiles 

Yeah, I think I let conditions get too humid in their old enclosure, and then the population of grain mites exploded! I rehoused them to a coconut fiber setup and haven't had a problem since.

Well I don't have any reptile or amphibian pets, I only use the mealworms for feeding other carnivorous invertebrates. :)