Keeping roaches in (no escapes)

port513

Hi,

New to forum, not new to non climing roaches but now I'm going to keep climbers so I need advice 

Species I will get is P. nigra and G. oblongonata and they will be kept in smartstore classic boxes with vented lids etc.
How do you prevent escapes from them and what could happen if they do escape from the box?

Someone opened my daughter's tarantula cage so she (the tarantula) took a sight seeing in our house  Lucky me my parents didn't visit us during the escape.
So I do know bad things can happens but how do I avoid escapes from roaches that climb and how bad can it be if any of these species do escape?
Can they create an infestation of my home or will they die off due to low temperatures etc?
Even if they climb they will have a hard time finding food they like so there is not much to feed on if an escape will happen.

As a barrier right now I will use lime and/or PTFE spray not sure if I have to use booth.
One thing is sure, my wife will kill me twice if they do escape ;)

/Henke

First off, welcome to the forum! :)

I keep my P.nigra in a plastic storage container I got at a Dollar tree, the lid is pretty tight and I've no escapees at all, this species prefers to stay below the substrate anyway. 

For the G.oblongonata I'd recommend something like this type of container, the lid is completely airtight and escape proof, and my hissers never got out of it. 

Neither of those species could infest your house BTW, the P.nigra would dry up fast, and the hissers could survive in your home for maybe a week at the most depending on the age of the roach before drying out or starving. 

Nice to know that they can't survive and make new roaches 

I will try the lime and/or PTFE solution, the only thing I risk now is that the hissers sounds to much for my wife to cope with them and that some sensitive guests might find a cockroach on a road trip ;)

Maybe my tarantulas can escape at the same time so they can hund in a more natural fashion?

/Henke

I know 3 possible methods ,

- vaseline oil 3-4 on top of box

- silicone oil - idem

alcool+ talcum powder....you mix the 2 , you put on top of the box and you wait that it will be dry...

At this moment, only 2 ssp are able to travel these barriers: hemithyrsocera vittata (ex histrio) small nymphs and all size of anallacta methanoides. for this last sp, I try since 3 days with a barrier of olive oil....
It's perfect to stop them but it was just to make a transfer from old box to new box, I don't know how will become this oil when it will become old....

I don't use anything for my roaches at the moment.

-For my roaches I use sterilite gasket boxes. I drilled small holes in the lid with the tiniest drill bit available all across the lid. (Small enough so the babies can not get out.) I then inserted an air pump hose (for fish tanks) by drilling one hole in center of lid large enough to put the hose through. The lid stays sealed and locked at all times. (unless changing/feeding them). There is enough fresh air circulating in the tub from the air pump, and enough holes to allow stale air out. I also found it keeps the humidity at a good level also. I sometimes will use petroleum jelly (Haven't in a while, due to no real need for it with the gasket box setup.) around the edge/underside of the lid to keep them from crawling up the lid to the holes.  The seal keeps them from escaping out the sides. That's my basic set up.

Only thing I don't care for with petroleum jelly is it melts and make a awful mess. It can be hard to clean up at times.