bin size selection and fine mesh

NeverLift

I ordered Blaberidae sp. little kenyans (have they been identified yet?) 25 nymphs. Would it be better to start them off in a 32oz deli cup or put them in the 20qt bin I plan on having the colony in? Same question with 25 Blatta lateralis nymphs? 

Also should I be worried about the little kenyan males climbing up to the screen vent and possibly bringing hitchhiker fruit-fly sized nymphs, where they could climb out of the window screen vent? 30x30 Fine mesh is hard to find and expensive, is it really necessary?

Thanks for your help.

I currently keep mine in a really large plastic jar. Think big pretzel/cheese puff jar. So far on the slick plastic surface I havn't seen any attempt to climb. Its only been a few months though so I cant say for sure but I can say they are secure.

Little Kenyans are Paraplecta sp. (I can't remember which species unfortunately). The deli cup should be fine for them now. The lateralis I would probably just put in the 20 qt. 

If you put a little vaseline around the top that should stop the males from getting out. 

1 hour ago, pannaking22 said:

Little Kenyans are Paraplecta sp. (I can't remember which species unfortunately).

They are just being referred to as a species of Paraplecta for now, but are very likely P.parvus. :) 

• 2 weeks later...