Ultimate "Cave roach" Display ideas

Matttoadman

So I am moving my Eublaberus serranus colony into a 20 gallon high aquarium. My desire is to create a Cave roach display tank. Since the Eublaberus genus seems to commonly be found in bat caves this is what I want to emulate. The idea thus far is deep substrate (3-4 inches of coco fiber) for the nymphs to hide in and cave walls for the adults to congregate. It would appear that wing biting may be related to lack of surface retreats for the adults to escape the hungry nymphs. I can't decide if I want to make a complete back and sides or a free standing rock wall in the middle for them to cling onto all sides. The drawback of a full back and sides is making the back side roach proof......haha like that is possible. I am open to ideas for design, materials........

I'd recommend a spray foam like Great Stuff (http://www.homedepot.com/p/GREAT-STUFF-16-oz-Big-Gap-Filler-Insulating-Foam-Sealant-248314/100029171) and then covering it with some grout or perhaps stucco or drywall mud. It will stay lighter than actual rock and fill in all the gaps. I found a step-by-step on instructables:

http://www.instructables.com/id/Make-a-fake-rock-cavebasking-spot-for-a-reptile-c/?ALLSTEPS

Great Stuff is often used in vivariums for dart frogs and other sensitive animals. It's harmless.

Though I wouldn't trust roaches not to chew on it and wreck the background. Sheets of bark, a coconut fiber background or psydeus's other suggestions might be better and great stuff doesn't always look very natural.

There's a youtube channel called Lizard Landscapes that has tons of ideas for stuff like this!  The designer uses styrofoam, glue, paint, and some kind of non-toxic sealant.  I forget what he coats the sculptures with but if it's safe for lizards it's likely safe for your roaches.

Here's the video for making a rock wall: