Using plants to control roach population

Idea for population control

I do not mean to do this for fun, but only for controling my pet roach population. So I am sorry in advance if someone is disgusted by this...

When my cockroaches will get many more than the few I have now, I will try an "experiment". Becuase I do not want to have too many, I am gonna feed them to carnivorous plants. I do not see how this is different from feeding cockroaches to scorpions or tarantulas.

I think you'd have to kill the roach first, since none of the carnivorous plants I know of (at least, not the ones we can keep as houseplants) are strong enough to hold onto a roach unless it's a tiny nymph.

18 minutes ago, CritterChick said:

I think you'd have to kill the roach first, since none of the carnivorous plants I know of (at least, not the ones we can keep as houseplants) are strong enough to hold onto a roach unless it's a tiny nymph.

I think on using pitcher plants for the larger roaches, and use venus flytraps for the tiny nymphs.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, IceRoach said:

I think on using pitcher plants for the larger roaches, and use venus flytraps for the tiny nymphs.

Yeah, large pitchers would be able to eat large roach nymphs, and I've fed smaller roaches to my Venus flytrap, seems to like them a lot. :)

Only thing is, I think you'd need a lot of plants to keep all your colonies under control, they are pretty slow eaters compared to reptiles or amphibians for example.

3 minutes ago, Hisserdude said:

Yeah, large pitchers would be able to eat large roach nymphs, and I've fed smaller roaches to my Venus flytrap, seems to like them a lot. :)

Only thing is, I think you'd need a lot of plants to keep all your colonies under control, they are pretty slow eaters compared to reptiles or amphibians for example.

I have only two roach species now, so I don't think that will be a problem:)

2 minutes ago, IceRoach said:

I have only two roach species now, so I don't think that will be a problem:)

Well then, sounds like it should work out just fine! :)

• Like 1

I've recently been looking into carnivorous plants also. They use the insects as fertilizer, and think about how often you give plants fertilizer, not too often. I'm defiantly going to get one, not sure which one is the hardiest yet....

• Like 1

On 22.3.2017 at 9:18 PM, NeverLift said:

I've recently been looking into carnivorous plants also. They use the insects as fertilizer, and think about how often you give plants fertilizer, not too often. I'm defiantly going to get one, not sure which one is the hardiest yet....

I am getting sundews, for they are easy, fast and cheap to grow. The sundews can only eat tiny nymphs, but it doesnt matter if I check the terrarium often for nymphs that they can eat!