Changing Hissers Diet?

Marrader21

I came across some information on the forums saying roaches only need about 4% protein at any given stage. As a staple my roaches get a mix of fish flakes, pellets, and whole dry cat food; I just realised the flakes and pellets are 32% and 28% protein respectively... I'll have to check the cat food when I get home from work. Every 2-4 days I feed them an assortment of fruits & veggies as well. 

My question is what should I look for when finding a staple food for these guys? What do you guys feed yours? Also; I'm not sure if it's relevant, but my hissers are non feeders.

I feed my roaches a staple diet of dog/cat food, (whichever happens to be cheaper at the store), and offer fruit to a few of my live bearing species that really seem to like it. So far I've had good success with this diet, and have not run into any problems. :)

Agreed with Hisserdude, it may be more protein than is necessary, but it won't do them any harm. All my roaches get the same standard protein diet along with carrots or pieces of fruit, depending on what I have at the time. 

• Like 1

You can "water down" the high protein food with low protein food.  Mix oats or wheat with the fish flakes. Like others have said, I don't think it really matters.

• Like 1