Macropanesthia rhinoceros

Hello

Just wondering if anyone could provide me any tip or need to knows on how to care / feed these types of roaches. Thinking about getting a few of these. Though I don't want to get them and have them die from not providing proper care.  Anyone have experience owning these types of roaches? Anything they are overly  sensitive to? Thanks

• Like 1

They have somewhat specific, yet easy to provide care requirements, and once set up are extremely easy to care for. :)

First off, they need rotted hardwood leaves to feed on, preferably oak or something similar, but it can really be anything so long as it isn't toxic. They also eat dog food, fruits and veggies, which you should offer often.

Secondly, the nymphs need a shallow substrate (preferably a mixture of potting soil and sand), 1-2 cm at the most, as if they attempt to molt while covered in substrate, they will suffer massive deformities and die as a result. In the wild they live in extensive, cavernous burrows they build in stable, hardened soil, they aren't substrate "swimmers" like the other burrowing genera in the hobby. It's hard to provide those conditions for them in captivity, and if they try to burrow in loose substrate, their burrows would collapse and if they tried to molt while covered in substrate they would fail and die. Since you don't really want them burrowing much, be sure to provide some hides for them to take shelter under.

Thirdly, these guys don't like warm temps, you shouldn't keep them any higher than 79F, or they may die. Also be sure to keep them moist, but not wet, and give them a cage with good ventilation.

And fourthly, when breeding this species, keep in mind that the males will often eat small nymphs, so if you suspect that your female has been mated and is going to give birth soon, separate her from her mate ASAP. You also don't want to keep the nymphs with their mother longer than a few months, as there are rumors that even the mothers can eat their young if kept with them too long...

Also, when females mature, they often wait a year or so before mating, and then once they give birth, wait another year before reproducing again, (in fact, most captive rhino roach females only give birth once in their life!).

Hope this helps, let me know if you have any more questions! I highly suggest you get the book, "For the Love of Cockroaches" by Orin McMonigle, (@Allpet Roaches), it has a long segment on keeping this species, in fact it's where I got all this information! :) Orin's been breeding them longer than anyone in the US, so he's the go-to guy when it comes to keeping this species! 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Hisserdude said:

They have somewhat specific, yet easy to provide care requirements, and once set up are extremely easy to care for. :)

First off, they need rotted hardwood leaves to feed on, preferably oak or something similar, but it can really be anything so long as it isn't toxic. They also eat dog food, fruits and veggies, which you should offer often.

Secondly, the nymphs need a shallow substrate (preferably a mixture of potting soil and sand), 1-2 cm at the most, as if they attempt to molt while covered in substrate, they will suffer massive deformities and die as a result. In the wild they live in extensive, cavernous burrows they build in stable, hardened soil, they aren't substrate "swimmers" like the other burrowing genera in the hobby. It's hard to provide those conditions for them in captivity, and if they try to burrow in loose substrate, their burrows would collapse and if they tried to molt while covered in substrate they would fail and die. Since you don't really want them burrowing much, be sure to provide some hides for them to take shelter under.

Thirdly, these guys don't like warm temps, you shouldn't keep them any higher than 79F, or they may die. Also be sure to keep them moist, but not wet, and give them a cage with good ventilation.

And fourthly, when breeding this species, keep in mind that the males will often eat small nymphs, so if you suspect that your female has been mated and is going to give birth soon, separate her from her mate ASAP. You also don't want to keep the nymphs with their mother longer than a few months, as there are rumors that even the mothers can eat their young if kept with them too long...

Also, when females mature, they often wait a year or so before mating, and then once they give birth, wait another year before reproducing again, (in fact, most captive rhino roach females only give birth once in their life!).

Hope this helps, let me know if you have any more questions! I highly suggest you get the book, "For the Love of Cockroaches" by Orin McMonigle, (@Allpet Roaches), it has a long segment on keeping this species, in fact it's where I got all this information! :) Orin's been breeding them longer than anyone in the US, so he's the go-to guy when it comes to keeping this species! 

Didn't feel like getting out my book so I'm glad that you did! lol You probably found this info from the book as well, but do the adults have a short lifespan(compared to the nymphal stage) or something? Didn't remember reading that about the females, but then again, I don't have the best memory either. ;) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, All About Insects said:

Didn't feel like getting out my book so I'm glad that you did! lol You probably found this info from the book as well, but do the adults have a short lifespan(compared to the nymphal stage) or something? Didn't remember reading that about the females, but then again, I don't have the best memory either. ;) 

Apparently the adults usually only live about 4-5 years in captivity, so the adults live about as long as it takes for nymphs to mature. Orin says in his book that even if the female lives another 3-4 years after giving birth in captivity, they almost never give birth again. He's only had one female give birth twice, (happened last year in fact), don't know why but in captivity they usually only give birth once.

11 minutes ago, Nadine83 said:

Cool beans sounds good to me might be a xmas present to myself if I can locate a pair.. thanks a bunch.

Yeah they are really cool cockroaches, very unique in the hobby!

No problem, happy to help! :)