Gyna centurio (Centurion Roach)

Got a sexed pair of this beautiful species from Gil Wizen, hopefully they'll mature soon! :D

Male nymph

G.centurio%25231.JPG

G.centurio%25232.JPG

G.centurio%25233.JPG

Female nymph

G.centurio%25235.JPG

G.centurio%25236.JPG

It's amazing to me how most species basically look like this as nymphs, but then mature into such unique colors and forms...especially the Centurions! Looking at the pic above, who would've ever thought they could change so drastically. Now you've got something else to look forward to! Congrats!

1 hour ago, Skyvie said:

It's amazing to me how most species basically look like this as nymphs, but then mature into such unique colors and forms...especially the Centurions! Looking at the pic above, who would've ever thought they could change so drastically. Now you've got something else to look forward to! Congrats!

Yeah, most roach nymphs look quite dull, but that is no indicator of how the adults will look! :) Isn't nature great? 

I'm really looking forward to seeing them mature, they look like pre-sub or subadults already, so that shouldn't be long! :D  

1 hour ago, NeverLift said:

Looks similar to an Eublaberus nymph.

Yup, apparently Gyna capucina and bisannulata look similar. Much different than G.lurida or G.cafforum nymphs for sure!

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Skyvie said:

Two weeks isn't too long to wait for something like that! Congrats, there's nothing like it!

Yup, was a subadult nymph, one that was close to molting at that! :) Thanks, indeed, there's nothing quite like this species in the hobby yet! 

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 7/7/2017 at 0:49 PM, dactylus said:

Beautiful!!

Thanks! :)

My female gave birth recently, here are some pictures of the little guys! 

G.centurio%252317.JPG

G.centurio%252318.JPG

G.centurio%252319.JPG

• Like 1

Once that first batch of nymphs are successfully born, they erupt like crazy. I started with about 5 or 6 surviving nymphs that matured, birthed several litters, and now I have maybe almost 100 mixed sizes of nymphs. I currently have about 4 adult females and 1 male reproducing from the last group that matured. Every time I feed and water, it seems like there are new nymphs. I love this species....oh and they are great fliers. Had some escaped females; drove my cats insane till I snagged them.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, dcfarms said:

Once that first batch of nymphs are successfully born, they erupt like crazy. I started with about 5 or 6 surviving nymphs that matured, birthed several litters, and now I have maybe almost 100 mixed sizes of nymphs. I currently have about 4 adult females and 1 male reproducing from the last group that matured. Every time I feed and water, it seems like there are new nymphs. I love this species....oh and they are great fliers. Had some escaped females; drove my cats insane till I snagged them.

Good to know lol, the more the merrier! :D That's crazy, no wonder some keepers have started using them as occasional feeders! 

Luckily my pair seem to spend almost all of their time underground, whereas my other Gyna are always trying to fly away. This may change once my culture gets bigger though...

• 3 months later...
On 22.08.2017 at 1:22 PM, Hisserdude said:

...my pair seem to spend almost all of their time underground...

It's unpredictable, IMO.

I've 5 Gyna species, and always some of them try to fly when others just stay buried - and each feeding they're different. The most fleeable is usually lurida, the laziest - usually bisannulata, but an hour ago two capucina males tried to fly away.

My favourite is kaffrorum - especially camouflaged nymphs :)

• Like 1

On 12/1/2017 at 2:22 PM, mehraban said:

It's unpredictable, IMO.

I've 5 Gyna species, and always some of them try to fly when others just stay buried - and each feeding they're different. The most fleeable is usually lurida, the laziest - usually bisannulata, but an hour ago two capucina males tried to fly away.

My favourite is kaffrorum - especially camouflaged nymphs :)

Yeah, it is rather unpredictable. In my experience, G.caffrorum has been the most active, with males always trying to escape! G.lurida are a close second, and my G.centurio seem to be the most calm. No matter how active they may be though, if you throw a piece of banana in their enclosure, they almost immediately stop what they are doing and run to it! :lol: Then maintenance is a breeze! ;)

I'd love to get G.capucina and G.bisannulata one day, they seem like amazing species! :)

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Betta132 said:

Is their care any different/more difficult than the other Gyna? 

Can't say so - keep'em all quite similar. IMO, nymphs prefer more humid conditions, adults tend to keep on dry side, but it's normal for many roaches.

The only nuance is in strains: lurida, caffrorum and - to somehow less degree - centurio are rather well-established in captivity, breeding without problems. Capucina and bisannulata - not yet, and there are different strains, some of which are noticably more difficult to breed.

• Like 1

I don't think I've ever seen such a beautiful roach. I'd be able to challenge my family with those guys for sure, they're not quite so taken with Hissers just yet (even though they're really pretty too).. but these guys are just too pretty to say no to.

Next roach is definitely going to be these guys.

• Like 1

On 12/3/2017 at 0:09 PM, Betta132 said:

They're absolutely gorgeous! 

Is their care any different/more difficult than the other Gyna? 

Supposedly they like a chunkier substrate than the more common G.lurida and G.caffrorum, but they are breeding well on a rather fine substrate for me, they are pretty hardy.

1 hour ago, Percy said:

I don't think I've ever seen such a beautiful roach. I'd be able to challenge my family with those guys for sure, they're not quite so taken with Hissers just yet (even though they're really pretty too).. but these guys are just too pretty to say no to.

Next roach is definitely going to be these guys.

Yeah, they are very pretty! :) Hope you can convince your family to let you keep them, just keep in mind that while they seem less inclined to do so than other Gyna I've kept, the adults can climb and fly pretty well. 

17 hours ago, Hisserdude said:

Supposedly they like a chunkier substrate than the more common G.lurida and G.caffrorum, but they are breeding well on a rather fine substrate for me, they are pretty hardy.

Yeah, they are very pretty! :) Hope you can convince your family to let you keep them, just keep in mind that while they seem less inclined to do so than other Gyna I've kept, the adults can climb and fly pretty well. 

The family has no say on whether I can keep them or not, I don't live at home and I'm and adult lol. I'm just trying to make people realize that these guys are totally harmless and not gross, usually if an animal is pretty.. people are less creeped out by them.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Percy said:

The family has no say on whether I can keep them or not, I don't live at home and I'm and adult lol. I'm just trying to make people realize that these guys are totally harmless and not gross, usually if an animal is pretty.. people are less creeped out by them.

Oh OK lol, was under the impression you were still living with them! Cool, these are definitely one of the prettier species out there, hope they can help change your family's opinion of cockroaches! :) I think they'd like Therea petiveriana or Therea olegrandjeani too, they are very cute little beetle mimics!

Oh my gosh, those Centurions are gorgeous! I love their markings and colors, it's a shame they don't get bigger. Out of curiosity, why does the female's prothorax (I think that's the correct term?) so much brighter in the first picture? Is it just a difference of lighting, or do their colors actually shift with age?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Chimera said:

Oh my gosh, those Centurions are gorgeous! I love their markings and colors, it's a shame they don't get bigger. Out of curiosity, why does the female's prothorax (I think that's the correct term?) so much brighter in the first picture? Is it just a difference of lighting, or do their colors actually shift with age?

Yeah, they are stunning! :D I actually like medium to small sized roaches the best, so their small size is a win for me!

I think she was still slightly teneral when I took the first pictures of her, and the flash kinda messed the coloration up too. These last couple pictures I've taken show the natural coloration a lot better.

46 minutes ago, Hisserdude said:

Yeah, they are stunning! :D I actually like medium to small sized roaches the best, so their small size is a win for me!

I think she was still slightly teneral when I took the first pictures of her, and the flash kinda messed the coloration up too. These last couple pictures I've taken show the natural coloration a lot better.

I just love the roaches that are so big that non-invert-loving people run away screaming at the sight of them! :lol:

And ah, I see. I've got to say, my first thought when I saw the female was, "She has a mutant Canadian flag symbol on her head!"