Centipede Uncivil

Oxyhaloa deusta

9 posts in this topic

Is it necessary to use substrate with these or can I get away with just some dry leaf litter?

You'll be fine with leaf litter. I kept mine with a thin layer of substrate mainly to help maintain humidity and then added egg crate for hiding places. Breeding was out of control in no time. 

Nice. I've read that they're escape artists, does Vaseline do a decent job of keeping them contained?

1 person likes this

These will climb over Vaseline. I have read that really the only way to keep them contained is to have a sealing container with lots of small air holes.
Good luck keeping them contained =)

Yea, if you want to keep this species contained, I'd recommend the Sterilite Gasket Box containers, nothing gets in or out of those babies. lol

I had about a 4 inch band of vaseline and kept them in a gasket sealed box. Pretty much the only way I was able to keep them in lol. Any other way and they would just keep getting out. 

Ended up using a 1 gallon jar with screw on kid with holes and pantyhose

If they can get out of that I'll just feed them off. My life is difficult enough without bugs making me look inept.

That should be pretty secure. I'd be feeding them off anyway because they reproduce very quickly.