Arenivaga sp. "Algodones Dunes"

A friend of mine collected a couple Arenivaga nymphs in the Algodones Dunes, sadly it seems both are males, will still be fun keeping them though! :) I highly suspect they are A.darwini, they could also be A.investigata though.

Sorry for the blurry pics, these were the best could get at the time:

AlgodonesArenivaga%25231.JPG

AlgodonesArenivaga%25232.JPG

AlgodonesArenivaga%25235.JPG

AlgodonesArenivaga%25236.JPG

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Bufo Bill said:

Little cuties!?

Yeah, they are adorable little nymphs! :D

• 3 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, dactylus said:

That is very cool!  Is there any chance that your friend could return to the dunes and look for a few females of this species for you?

Yeah, they are really nice looking! :) Sadly, no, my friend doesn't seem to have plans to return to that area anytime soon, so I definitely won't be breeding these, unless I can find someone else willing to go to that area this time of year...

6 minutes ago, Hisserdude said:

Yeah, they are really nice looking! :) Sadly, no, my friend doesn't seem to have plans to return to that area anytime soon, so I definitely won't be breeding these, unless I can find someone else willing to go to that area this time of year...

That's too bad.  I have a special place in my heart for desert roaches!

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, dactylus said:

That's too bad.  I have a special place in my heart for desert roaches!

Me too, hopefully I'll be able to acquire this species again one day, in a larger amount!

Just now, Hisserdude said:

Me too, hopefully I'll be able to acquire this species again one day, in a larger amount!

If you are able to acquire this species in larger numbers in the future I would certainly be interested in offspring from you...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, dactylus said:

If you are able to acquire this species in larger numbers in the future I would certainly be interested in offspring from you...

Thanks, will definitely let you know if that ever happens! ;)

• 2 months later...

Well, turns out I was wrong about their genders... They are both females, not males. Doesn't improve my breeding chances much at all, but hey, at least they'll live longer. :)

Here are a few pictures of them, one may be an adult already, I don't know that for sure though:

ArenivagaAD%25231.JPG

ArenivagaAD%25232.JPG

ArenivagaAD%25233.JPG

ArenivagaAD%25234.JPG

• Like 3

Very cool, it's nice to see more sand roaches entering the hobby I think they would be cool to get in to!

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/6/2017 at 7:18 AM, Redmont said:

Very cool, it's nice to see more sand roaches entering the hobby I think they would be cool to get in to!

They are very neat little roaches, it's great that more of the native US species have been entering the hobby lately, hopefully this is a trend that will continue! :)

That female that I thought was an adult turned out to be a subadult, she matured the other day, and underwent a significant color change!

ArenivagaADFemale%25231.JPG

ArenivagaADFemale%25232.JPG

ArenivagaADFemale%25234.JPG

ArenivagaADFemale%25236.JPG

• Like 4

Awesome, if you have any sand roach species Avalable and if you have any white banana roaches ( I forget there name) I'd be interested in trading anything in my for sale add or buying them 

7 hours ago, Redmont said:

Awesome, if you have any sand roach species Avalable and if you have any white banana roaches ( I forget there name) I'd be interested in trading anything in my for sale add or buying them 

Sorry, don't have any sand roach species available, nor any of the white banana roaches either, both are very slow breeding. 

• 5 months later...