Lucihormetica subcincta

Got a pair of this lovely species from Roachcrossing, very happy to have this beautiful roach in my collection! :)

Male

L.subcincta%25231.JPG

L.subcincta%25232.JPG

L.subcincta%25233.JPG

Female

L.subcincta%25234.JPG

L.subcincta%25235.JPG

Both of them together

L.subcincta%25237.JPG

• Like 4

Great pics! I hope you end up with many more. I also got some a while back from roach crossing. I didn't do so well with their humidity and a few dried out, or did not molt well. Now I have only four roaches, one female, one male, and two almost adult nymphs. The male just hit his adult molt. They are so pretty! It is also interesting how they tend to play dead when you first dig them up. I like the little behavioral differences between roaches.

2 hours ago, varnon said:

Great pics! I hope you end up with many more. I also got some a while back from roach crossing. I didn't do so well with their humidity and a few dried out, or did not molt well. Now I have only four roaches, one female, one male, and two almost adult nymphs. The male just hit his adult molt. They are so pretty! It is also interesting how they tend to play dead when you first dig them up. I like the little behavioral differences between roaches.

Thanks, I hope so too! :)

Sorry to hear that, at least some survived, hopefully you'll get some offspring from your remaining individuals! Yeah, they are beautiful, can't believe it took me this long to get some, they are quickly becoming one of my favorite genera! :D

• 4 weeks later...

I was so excited when I heard about these guys... Then my hopes were cruelly dispelled as I learned they cannot actually glow in captivity anyways.

Someone needs to get on that problem and find the source of their bioluminescence in the wild.

Beautiful pics by the way.

2 hours ago, Tleilaxu said:

I was so excited when I heard about these guys... Then my hopes were cruelly dispelled as I learned they cannot actually glow in captivity anyways.

Someone needs to get on that problem and find the source of their bioluminescence in the wild.

They ingest bioluminescent fungi that causes them to glow bugsincyberspace sells the fungi and some other places. I haven't seen or heard the results yet but it's promising.

2 hours ago, lovebugfarm said:

They ingest bioluminescent fungi that causes them to glow bugsincyberspace sells the fungi and some other places. I haven't seen or heard the results yet but it's promising.

I thought the exact same thing, but those are actually just lights that he sells. lol

15 hours ago, Tleilaxu said:

Yeah, too bad they don't actually glow in captivity, that'd be amazing! They are still very beautiful though, you gotta admit! :)

As far as I know, there actually is no real proof that they even glow in the wild, no scientific evidence at least, so I have my doubts that even feeding them glow in the dark fungi or something would ever actually work.

2 minutes ago, Hisserdude said:

Yeah, too bad they don't actually glow in captivity, that'd be amazing! They are still very beautiful though, you gotta admit! :)

As far as I know, there actually is no real proof that they even glow in the wild, no scientific evidence at least, so I have my doubts that even feeding them glow in the dark fungi or something would ever actually work.

That maybe a fun experiment for you to try out, or others who own this species, I know they sell bioluminescent fungi for dart frogs.

They are pretty though and your photo quality is amazing.

Just now, Tleilaxu said:

That maybe a fun experiment for you to try out, or others who own this species, I know they sell bioluminescent fungi for dart frogs.

I don't know why anyone hasn't done it yet, they sell kits for glowing mushrooms on Amazon for pretty cheap! I mean personally, I don't really want to go through the trouble of growing mushrooms, just to see if it will actually make this species glow, but there's gotta be someone out there who does!