Eupolyphaga sinensis: first babies (photos)

My first Eupolyphaga sinensis nymphs appeared! 
I managed to get some photographs of the 2 day old nymphs. They must have eaten already, as their intestines got dark. They are about 3mm / 0.12 inch in length. 
The ootheca hatched after about 6-7 weeks (at constant 28C / 83F). 

eupolyphaga_sinensis_nymph.jpg

eupolyphaga_sinensis_nymph2.jpg

• Like 2

Congrats on the offspring man! :D Great pictures of such tiny little roaches, wish my camera could take pictures this good of small inverts!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hisserdude said:

Congrats on the offspring man! :D Great pictures of such tiny little roaches, wish my camera could take pictures this good of small inverts!

Thanks! It took quite some pictures to get it right and luckily the sun was shining, so the light was ok (and a good camera+lens helps). 

And I'm glad to have these babies. For a particular reason: my Eupolyphaga sinensis population is in quarantine due to a Sancassania berlesei mite problem. These mites came with the animals I bought. I haven't managed so far to get rid of the mites. They are though and have a special kind of nymph stage (hypopus) that attached itself with suckers to the roaches. They don't do harm to the roaches. They rather use the roaches as transport to food sources (phoresy). None the less I do not want them in my roach collection. 
So I collect the ootheca, clean them thoroughly and keep them seperate. That way I hope to start a new colony without mites. 
Well, now I have the first nymphs going :) 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, stanislas said:

Thanks! It took quite some pictures to get it right and luckily the sun was shining, so the light was ok (and a good camera+lens helps). 

And I'm glad to have these babies. For a particular reason: my Eupolyphaga sinensis population is in quarantine due to a Sancassania berlesei mite problem. These mites came with the animals I bought. I haven't managed so far to get rid of the mites. They are though and have a special kind of nymph stage (hypopus) that attached itself with suckers to the roaches. They don't do harm to the roaches. They rather use the roaches as transport to food sources (phoresy). None the less I do not want them in my roach collection. 
So I collect the ootheca, clean them thoroughly and keep them seperate. That way I hope to start a new colony without mites. 
Well, now I have the first nymphs going :) 

Yeah, sunlight is great for photos, especially filtered sunlight. 

Ah, sorry to hear that, mites are the bane of my existence! Hopefully these babies will grow up mite free! :)

• Like 1