Jump to content
Hisserdude

Eurycotis improcera

Recommended Posts

Got some nymphs from Roachcrossing recently, can't wait until they mature! :D

E.improcera%25232.JPG

E.improcera%25233.JPG

E.improcera%25234.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow, these aren't even on his website - I wonder if they will be soon. These guys look pretty neat when they're adults...almost like a Lucihormetica, but not quite. Eurycotis are some of my favorites

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Skyvie said:

Wow, these aren't even on his website - I wonder if they will be soon. These guys look pretty neat when they're adults...almost like a Lucihormetica, but not quite. Eurycotis are some of my favorites

I assume they will be soon, once he starts updating his site again. They are stunning as adults, I really can't wait to see them in person! I can see the similarities to Lucihormetica, the markings on the wings and abdomen aren't too different. :)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The adults are insane, I got to see them in person at the Tinley Park NARBC show while I helped Kyle vend. I ended up getting three ooths and almost an adult pair, but Kyle wanted to keep them to continue bolstering his colony since they didn't sell. I have a ton of little nymphs running around now that I probably need to upgrade this weekend. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, pannaking22 said:

The adults are insane, I got to see them in person at the Tinley Park NARBC show while I helped Kyle vend. I ended up getting three ooths and almost an adult pair, but Kyle wanted to keep them to continue bolstering his colony since they didn't sell. I have a ton of little nymphs running around now that I probably need to upgrade this weekend. 

Glad to hear that, really excited for my nymphs to mature! :D Cool, hope your nymphs do well for you, keep us updated! :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They are getting bigger! :)

E.improcera%25235.JPG

E.improcera%25236.JPG

E.improcera%25237.JPG

Hey @Cariblatta lutea, how big do these get as adults again?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Hisserdude said:

They are getting bigger! :)

E.improcera%25235.JPG

E.improcera%25236.JPG

E.improcera%25237.JPG

Hey @Cariblatta lutea, how big do these get as adults again?

Beautiful! :D I'm currently contemplating picking some of these guys up, but I also really like P.horrida......decisions, decisions.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, All About Insects said:

Beautiful! :D I'm currently contemplating picking some of these guys up, but I also really like P.horrida......decisions, decisions.

Honestly, I'd go with P.horrida, these are pretty and all, but are a huge PIA to care for, as they are very fast and always try to bolt out of the enclosure. -_-

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Hisserdude said:

Honestly, I'd go with P.horrida, these are pretty and all, but are a huge PIA to care for, as they are very fast and always try to bolt out of the enclosure. -_-

Oh, that's not a major problem for me, I've dealt with it before. lol I'll see if I can get both since it's so hard to choose, but if it comes down to it, I'll go with horrida. Alan's pics have really just motivated me to acquire them along with the fact that I've been keeping an adult masked hunter and have grown quite fond of assassins. :) 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, All About Insects said:

Oh, that's not a major problem for me, I've dealt with it before. lol I'll see if I can get both since it's so hard to choose, but if it comes down to it, I'll go with horrida. Alan's pics have really just motivated me to acquire them along with the fact that I've been keeping an adult masked hunter and have grown quite fond of assassins. :) 

I'd trade u some of those masked hunters for Eurycotis imporcera ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Cariblatta lutea said:

I'd trade u some of those masked hunters for Eurycotis imporcera ;)

How many would be the minimum number you'd take?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Cariblatta lutea said:

I'd need at least a pair or two so I could breed them

I have one currently, is there a way to sex them?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, All About Insects said:

I have one currently, is there a way to sex them?

Females have pointy tip on the last segment (which often extends past the wings) while the males have round tip. 

Female :

http://bugguide.net/node/view/307087/bgimage

Male :

http://bugguide.net/node/view/918862/bgimage

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Cariblatta lutea said:

Only about 1.1" in length. This is probably the smallest species of Eurycotis available in the hobby! (unless sp. "Venezuela is smaller)

Alright, good to know! Hey, that just means I can fit more of them in a container! :P Are the adults as crazy and skittish as the nymphs?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Hisserdude said:

Alright, good to know! Hey, that just means I can fit more of them in a container! :P Are the adults as crazy and skittish as the nymphs?

Definitely! Whenever I lift up an egg flat to check on them they go nuts! One of them even jumped out of the container while I was trying to put back the egg flat to its original place!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Cariblatta lutea said:

Females have pointy tip on the last segment (which often extends past the wings) while the males have round tip. 

Female :

http://bugguide.net/node/view/307087/bgimage

Male :

http://bugguide.net/node/view/918862/bgimage

Thanks for the info!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Cariblatta lutea said:

Definitely! Whenever I lift up an egg flat to check on them they go nuts! One of them even jumped out of the container while I was trying to put back the egg flat to its original place!

Dang it, I really want to try and handle the adults at least a little bit, they look so pretty! :unsure: Guess I'll just have to do it over a large empty bin or something lol!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This thread is HOT with 18 replies. LoL

Nice Florida skunk roaches. (Imposters)

Edited by Tleilaxu
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Tleilaxu said:

This thread is HOT with 18 replies. LoL

Nice Florida skunk roaches. (Imposters)

Yeah, couple conversations going on at once here! :lol:

These are the smaller, prettier, less smelly cousins of the Florida Skunk roach! :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

More pics!

E.improcera%25233.JPG

E.improcera%252310.JPG

E.improcera%252311.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One of my females has matured and OMG is she gorgeous!!! :wub:

E.improcera%252312.JPG

E.improcera%252314.JPG

E.improcera%252315.JPG

E.improcera%252317.JPG

E.improcera%252318.JPG

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, CodeWilster said:

Wow! Beautiful 

Thanks, they are really stunning, can't wait until the rest mature! :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×