Deropeltis sp. "Jinka"

Got a group of nymphs from Roachcrossing, hopefully they'll do well for me, from what I understand they have somewhat specific humidity requirments...

DeropeltisJinka%25231.JPG

DeropeltisJinka%25232.JPG

DeropeltisJinka%25233.JPG

DeropeltisJinka%25234.JPG

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Skyvie said:

Ah, the "fuzzy" roach - I've had my eye on these. I'm looking forward to future pics of growth & development!

I've wanted some for years, very glad I was able to get some, can't wait to see the adult females in person! :D Thanks, will kept this thread updated!

2 hours ago, pannaking22 said:

Whoa, very neat! Good luck with them! 

Yeah, they are pretty cool! :) Thanks!

I had some of these a few years back. Bomb-proof is the word I went from 6 to 100+ in a single generation. They do well with twigs to climb too. 

Mall the best from Bill. :D

1 hour ago, Bufo Bill said:

I had some of these a few years back. Bomb-proof is the word I went from 6 to 100+ in a single generation. They do well with twigs to climb too. 

Mall the best from Bill. :D

That's funny, just found one of my nymphs dead, so I'm actually quite concerned about them ATM. :( What conditions did you give them, I'm particularly interested in the humidity levels?

50% with occasional spraying and fruit or veg on offer permanently. The larger ones in particular like to hang of branches during ecdysis like mantids. Cereal/grain products help too. Hope this helps    

All the best from Bill. :D

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Bufo Bill said:

50% with occasional spraying and fruit or veg on offer permanently. The larger ones in particular like to hang of branches during ecdysis like mantids. Cereal/grain products help too. Hope this helps    

All the best from Bill. :D

Alright, that's about the same humidity setup I have too. Thanks for the info, really appreciate it! :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

This is one of my wish list species. Having been to Ethiopia, I am drawn to animals from there. It is a beautiful place. hope you have good luck.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Matttoadman said:

This is one of my wish list species. Having been to Ethiopia, I am drawn to animals from there. It is a beautiful place. hope you have good luck.

Yeah, was on my wish list for quite some time, luckily Kyle had them in stock again for the first time in forever! Wow, that's cool, yeah would love to go visit Ethiopia, along with several other areas in Africa, lots of interesting invertebrates there! :D

1 hour ago, Matttoadman said:

Unfortunately I didn't look for inverts while I was there. I was into the birds. 

Well I'm sure the birds there are awesome too! :) 

• 1 month later...
13 hours ago, Tleilaxu said:

Updates please.

They've all grown quite a bit, will try and get pictures of them sometime soon! ;)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tleilaxu said:

How tame them down? My roaches won't tolerate handling.

You can't really tame them, but some species become calmer at adulthood. Those Periplaneta and Pycnoscelus you have aren't really good species for handling. lol

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, All About Insects said:

You can't really tame them, but some species become calmer at adulthood. Those Periplaneta and Pycnoscelus you have aren't really good species for handling. lol

Yeah I kinda gathered that from catching them lol.

16 hours ago, Tleilaxu said:

How tame them down? My roaches won't tolerate handling.

This species is pretty laid back compared to some others, Periplaneta are way crazier than these guys! :) You could possibly acclimate them to handling over time, the more you handle them the more they may get used to it, IDK.

15 minutes ago, stanislas said:

Very nice species! I'll put them on my wish list :) 

You should definitely get some, they are very cute and not too skittish either! :D