My Dubia roach has weird sacks where her wings should be?

Guest Ahliera

Guest Ahliera

I was told to post here by somebody from another site. If I need to change anything please let me know! 

Basically, I found one of my roaches with weird sacks where her wings would be. I have an album of images to show it. So far, people have suggested it to be problems inflating her wings, a parasite problem, and some kind of genetic strain. I'd like to see what you guys think of it. 

The album: http://imgur.com/a/5mBoZ

The Reddit thread: https://www.reddit.com/r/reptiles/comments/68ooyg/whats_up_with_my_dubia_roach/

• Like 1

First off, welcome to the forum! :D

Secondly, it seems your female had a problem properly inflating her wings when she molted, and it appears that they've filled up with hemolymph, AKA invertebrate blood. I don't know what exactly caused this, nor the affect it will have on your female, but yeah it's definitely not a parasite or disease, so it won't spread to your other roaches. 

Guest Ahliera
19 minutes ago, Hisserdude said:

First off, welcome to the forum! :D

Secondly, it seems your female had a problem properly inflating her wings when she molted, and it appears that they've filled up with hemolymph, AKA invertebrate blood. I don't know what exactly caused this, nor the affect it will have on your female, but yeah it's definitely not a parasite or disease, so it won't spread to your other roaches. 

Thank you! <3

And thanks for the info! I let her back into the colony to do as she pleases. I'll keep an eye on her and see how she does, but otherwise I'll let her be a happy roach!

12 minutes ago, Guest Ahliera said:

Thank you! <3

And thanks for the info! I let her back into the colony to do as she pleases. I'll keep an eye on her and see how she does, but otherwise I'll let her be a happy roach!

No problem, happy to help! :) My guess is that the wings will rupture, and either the wings will just look shrived her whole life, or she'll die. Hopefully it'll be the former, keep us updated on her!