Axolotl

Watch out for that larval stage!

9 posts in this topic

dbs-exwc79aamz_1 x.jpg

3 people like this

LMAO! :lol: I think that picture is on Bugguide, those larvae came out of a roach oothecae, they were parasitic wasps I believe.

1 person likes this

This is sort of related, even if the thread is old.

I was trying to visit Terminix for Pycnoscelus research and came across this:

The first one appears to be a silkworm female, and the second one is definitely a moth fly.

I will no longer visit them for researching.

um.PNG

um 2.PNG

1 person likes this

You can never trust pest control websites to give you credible information, their businesses thrive off of your average entomophobes! :lol: They often post images of completely harmless non-pest species and label them as pest species that look somewhat similar. A moth is a moth to the average Joe.

It is reasonable to assume that pest control people distort information slightly to improve business...

But seeing a large, famous company fail to tell the difference between a clothesmoth and an adult Bombyx mori is just terrifying, especially if they truly can tell the difference and are just posting random pictures out of self-interest/laziness. Imagine the possibilities.

Soon, they'll try to brainwash us into being afraid of poor madagascar hissers! 

And despite my poor-planning induced doublepost, I am serious about such threats, despite all the jokes. We might not find ourselves swamped with anti-hisser propaganda in real life, but they might try to convince us that some introduced but mostly harmless species will "threaten ecosystems and livelihoods".

I will now dream of six-armed exterminators eating roaches from the inside out.

37 minutes ago, Guest AlexW said:

It is reasonable to assume that pest control people distort information slightly to improve business...

But seeing a large, famous company fail to tell the difference between a clothesmoth and an adult Bombyx mori is just terrifying, especially if they truly can tell the difference and are just posting random pictures out of self-interest/laziness. Imagine the possibilities.

Soon, they'll try to brainwash us into being afraid of poor madagascar hissers! 

Orkin actually has a page specifically for Madagascan hissers in their "Pest Library". :lol: Doesn't say anywhere that they are actually pests though, and some the information they provide is actually pretty accurate. Of course, some of the information is pretty inaccurate as well, like when they say that nymphs molt 6 times before becoming adults, they definitely go through more molts than that to reach maturity!

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead