cockroach ID?

21 minutes ago, charzard said:

Cool!!! Thanks! Is sexing all roaches done the same way?

No problem. :) Nope, for Blaberids the last segment method is sufficient, but for the others sexual dimorphism or wing length is generally used in determining sex (although these are not as accurate as the aforementioned technique).

3 hours ago, charzard said:

So what would this cockroach eat? Carrots and fruits or?

Yep, veggies and fruits along with a decent portion of dry dog/fish/cat food. :) 

22 minutes ago, Hisserdude said:

Going by the size of the thoracic segments, it's a subadult male. :)

So you can also get the gender by looking at the top of the segments? 

2 hours ago, All About Insects said:

So you can also get the gender by looking at the top of the segments? 

In Parcoblatta, yes, the male nymphs (or at least large male nymphs), have much larger thoracic segments because they have much longer wings as adults, the females' segments look more normal and proportionate to the rest of their body. :)

1 hour ago, Hisserdude said:

In Parcoblatta, yes, the male nymphs (or at least large male nymphs), have much larger thoracic segments because they have much longer wings as adults, the females' segments look more normal and proportionate to the rest of their body. :)

Ah.......I need to brush up on my arthropod anatomy, I usually just refer to those as "wing buds". lol

• Like 1

7 hours ago, All About Insects said:

Ah.......I need to brush up on my arthropod anatomy, I usually just refer to those as "wing buds". lol

Haha believe me man, I suck at arthropod anatomy, I've just picked up a few things here and there, both from looking around on the web and from personal experience. :)