Pycnoscelus surinamensis colony.

It's been a very long while since I posted here. Anyways here is my first roach colony. Due to the exceedingly small photo upload size restrictions this is the only way I can show you detailed pics.

http://arachnoboards.com/threads/introducing.294323/

I can't even upload my smallest pics. :P

IMG_20170520_004117.jpg

Edited by Tleilaxu
Added a small photo.
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Tleilaxu said:

Due to the exceedingly small photo upload size restrictions this is the only way I can show you detailed pics.

http://arachnoboards.com/threads/introducing.294323/

I can't even upload my smallest pics. :P

You can insert images via copying their url and posting them here, that way you can put up really large images if you want to. :) I always end up uploading my pictures to my blog first, then copying the image address on each one and posting them over here. 

On a mobile phone that's a serious pain. :P

Either way these guys are violent to their cage decorations, knocking them over, knocking the dishes over, and just causing a ruckus, all I generally see is the aftermath, though I did see them moving the bark pieces.

It appears they see blacklight as well since I tried to use it to observe them and they just burrow.

Edited by Tleilaxu

Yep...pet dirt. :D They'll stay buried nearly all the time so make sure they've got plenty of substrate. I've tried doing the whole "feeding dish" thing, but they keep sucking them underneath the surface so I usually put food on one of the dried leaves on the surface and let them do their thing :rolleyes:

9 minutes ago, Skyvie said:

Yep...pet dirt. :D They'll stay buried nearly all the time so make sure they've got plenty of substrate. I've tried doing the whole "feeding dish" thing, but they keep sucking them underneath the surface so I usually put food on one of the dried leaves on the surface and let them do their thing :rolleyes:

Tried that as well, the food molded too quickly, due to overly moist soil Soo yea. Hopefully they will eventually come out to drink, but pet dirt is an apt description of these guys.

IMG_20170525_170346.jpg

16 hours ago, Tleilaxu said:

On a mobile phone that's a serious pain. :P

Either way these guys are violent to their cage decorations, knocking them over, knocking the dishes over, and just causing a ruckus, all I generally see is the aftermath, though I did see them moving the bark pieces.

It appears they see blacklight as well since I tried to use it to observe them and they just burrow.

Yeah it's a bit of a process, but it works. :)

They burrow a lot, and thus shift all cage decorations as well, mine always drag down the food bowls too! :P Now that my colonies are kinda big I just dump food on the surface of the substrate for most of them, and they eat it all up! 

Ah as an incentive, there are a LOT of pics at the link I provided to the original thread.

Some are just now getting comfortable enough to snag treats with subdued lighting vs pitch blackness.

But here is the newest addition...

IMG_20170527_231837.jpg

And one of the cleaning crew.

IMG_20170527_203510.jpg

I've also seen possible males of this species in the wild, I will try to catch them, but they are fast.

Edited by Tleilaxu
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Tleilaxu said:

Ah as an incentive, there are a LOT of pics at the link I provided to the original thread.

Some are just now getting comfortable enough to snag treats with subdued lighting vs pitch blackness.

But here is the newest addition...

And one of the cleaning crew.

I've also seen possible males of this species in the wild, I will try to catch them, but they are fast.

Nice! Hope you can find some of those males, never seen a WC male before actually! :)

BTW, whereabouts in FL do you live? Lots of very cool native species throughout the state, some of which are very high up on my wishlist! :D

2 hours ago, Tleilaxu said:

Near Palm Beach, I've only found Ozzie roaches and the Surinames so far.

Dang, was hoping you were closer to Liberty County, they've got the amazing Plectoptera picta there, a species that I (and many others) have been wanting in the hobby for a few years now! 

Don't know which species you've got around you, and there doesn't seem to even be any records of any roaches in Palm Beach county on Bugguide, so any species you find there you could post on Bugguide to help fill in the blanks. ;)

• Like 1

Actually, there is one record on Bugguide from Palm Beach, and guess what species it is... Yup, P.surinamensis! :P

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hisserdude said:

Actually, there is one record on Bugguide from Palm Beach, and guess what species it is... Yup, P.surinamensis! :P

Well now there is another record, I'm going roach hunting, if the Ozzie roaches won't come to me, then I shall go to them.

I shall not stand for the "giant form" Suriname roach (Likely males now that I know they exist) And actual males eluding me.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Tleilaxu said:

Well now there is another record, I'm going roach hunting, if the Ozzie roaches won't come to me, then I shall go to them.

I shall not stand for the "giant form" Suriname roach (Likely males now that I know they exist) And actual males eluding me.

Haha I wish you luck, and who knows, you may find some cool native roaches on your search as well! :)

P.surinamensis males are actually a little bit shorter and a lot less bulkier than their female counterparts, so the "giant" nymphs you have are likely going to be just large females. :)

Well I think I've acquired the colony mascot... And rescued a Suriname who some how jumped into the swimming pool...

Introducing the first mascot.

IMG_20170529_000459.jpg

And the second.

IMG_20170529_002744.jpg

I don't know their genders or if they will even breed but they should add much needed surface activity. And yes, not even 30 seconds in the enclosure and the adult is hoarding the food pellets.

And one of the nymphs was out.

IMG_20170529_000405.jpg

Well after some digging, it turns out these guys maybe the filthy American Roach, later today I will release them back to the wild. I'm not keeping a severe pest species, even if they can't climb the plastic.

@Hisserdude The "giant form" I'm referring to appeared to have the exact same markings as the normal adult but were larger than the adult females, I only saw it for a few moments so I'm not sure as it what it was I saw...

Nice, those are indeed Periplaneta americana, however they are just as much of a pest as the Periplaneta australiasia, and usually prefer to breed outdoors, houses tend to be far too dry for their ooths to hatch, (the only exception I've heard of is at @Cariblatta lutea's house in Alabama, somehow he got P.australiasia and P.fuliginosa to breed and infest his house I believe! :lol:). I lived in FL for a while, and P.americana adults wandered into our homes very often there, never bred in or infested any house though. 

Sounds like just larger P.surinamensis to me, if you catch one, be sure to get some pics up! :)

Well I kept the nymph, it can't be pestiferous if it is a virgin. (In before it attracts desperate males)

The adult I put back where I found. 

I found one six feet up a tree lol.

I will go hunting again tonight, and see what I can turn up.

The Australian roach is pretty so they get a pass, and considering the one I did find was in such a sorry state from being in the house, I'm not too worried.

24 minutes ago, Tleilaxu said:

Well I kept the nymph, it can't be pestiferous if it is a virgin. (In before it attracts desperate males)

The adult I put back where I found. 

I found one six feet up a tree lol.

I will go hunting again tonight, and see what I can turn up.

The Australian roach is pretty so they get a pass, and considering the one I did find was in such a sorry state from being in the house, I'm not too worried.

True dat lol! Cool, hope you can find some more cool roaches!

Yeah, P.australiasia are much prettier than P.americana, still love the way P.americana look though! :P

IMG_20170530_031224.jpg

Roaches like peanut butter they said, it would attract them they said..

#Sass

@wizentrop

In all seriousness my roaches totally ignored it in favor of the orange slice and dog food, even the American roach only gave it a passing glance. I guess they don't like extra chunky.... (I don't either so I can't blame them.)

IMG_20170529_213812.jpg

30 minutes ago, wizentrop said:

Well, this is why you need to experiment. PB does work for some species, might not work for others. Or maybe in the Middle East they have a more salty tooth.

I was just playing with ya, I'm not fussed. I can easily buy the individual tastes thing, while not roaches for a time I had two snapping turtles, one had a serious sweet tooth and devoured cantaloupe, honey melon, and such, while not favoring the veggies. The one I currently have prefers for a lack of a better term, likes more savory foods, like bell peppers, cucumbers, zucchini and such, strawberries and bananas are the only fruits he touches. Both liked meat equally of course, but prefer quail over chicken, mice over rats.

Alrighty, it ID time. Tonight I found an unusual thing, a Suriname roach on the move, over pavement, it was rather sluggish and did not even try to run away, I captured it so maybe it can possibly be rehabbed.

But the prize of tonight's hunt is this little guy, after 30 minutes of cat and mouse I finally caught it.

IMG_20170531_234037.jpg

Somewhat blurry but this next pic shows off its colors.

IMG_20170531_234303.jpg

@Hisserdude

IMG_20170531_234235.jpg

I'm beginning to think life is difficult in the wild, not even 30 minutes in and the little one is eating a crumb of dog food.

IMG_20170601_000133.jpg

IMG_20170531_235854.jpg

• Like 1

Looks like a small P.americana nymph to me. :) Nice job catching it, small nymphs like that are really fast!

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Tleilaxu said:

Well it is what it is, I spent far to long chasing that down. Once again the Ozzie's escape.

Haha yeah definitely don't just let it go, especially since you spent so long catching the sucker! :lol:

Yeah the, aussies seem a lot more scarce than the other Periplaneta down there!

Well I can't get pics but I put in some bell peppers, and that's seems to be a major hit, I can hear every one fighting over it... There's a larger piece they don't seem to know about.

I figured the small one was an Ozzie due to how ornate it looked.