Pycnoscelus surinamensis colony.

17 minutes ago, WarrenB said:

Nice. :)

Any idea what the cheeseballs jar is made from? Any letters or recycling codes on the bottom?

https://www.google.com/search?q=cheddar+cheese+balls&sa=X&biw=360&bih=512&tbs=vw:l,ss:44&tbm=shop&prmd=sivn&srpd=2048854364938280936&prds=num:1,of:1,epd:10972053707523510501,cid:10801898394154383710&ved=0ahUKEwjuhMH1zMDUAhUISSYKHfZTC3YQgjYIhgQ

They are market pantry cheese balls, just order some and toss them out.

On the underside I get a "RING" BT-1231 2A, Trim Lite Patented TM." The recycling symbol has a 1 inside it, with PETE under it.

Edited by Tleilaxu

1 hour ago, Tleilaxu said:

Thanks. Might cost a bit to bring them across the Atlantic, though. :D

On the underside I get a "RING BT-1231 2A, Trim Lite Patented TM." The recycling symbol has a 1 inside it, with PETE under it.

Ah, much thanks! That last bit tells me it's polyethylene terephthalate, aka polyester. :) Normally used in drinks bottles. Containers that invert keepers use, made for food and storage, are usually polypropylene. I wonder if polyester in general has some application for housing (or at least slowing down) climbing feeders, though the biggest containers I've seen are 5 litre (1.3 gallon) water bottles. Hmm.

32 minutes ago, WarrenB said:

Thanks. Might cost a bit to bring them across the Atlantic, though. :D

Ah, much thanks! That last bit tells me it's polyethylene terephthalate, aka polyester. :) Normally used in drinks bottles. Containers that invert keepers use, made for food and storage, are usually polypropylene. I wonder if polyester in general has some application for housing (or at least slowing down) climbing feeders, though the biggest containers I've seen are 5 litre (1.3 gallon) water bottles. Hmm.

It certainly does, Periplaneta certainly can't scale it under their own power, they make it a short distance, then slide back down. :D Ironically it seems on the surface the adults make it the furthest, but again once they reach a certain height they slide back down.

http://arachnoboards.com/threads/tleilaxu-does-not-approve.294913/

That thread link shows the max height any roach has made in that container before sliding back. And they have to put in some effort to even make it that far.

Funny thing is though, I've seen these very same roaches easily climb a Gatorade bottle that is used for their capture, and they chill on the sides with no issue, I will see if I can find anything of use on that bottle that may explain the difference. Maybe properties change with shape? But at least now you can find similar looking containers to try.

Apparently it's made from the same plastic, it has the PETE on there, I can't quite make out the symbol in the recycling icon however.... EDIT: it's also a 1

Edited by Tleilaxu

20 hours ago, Tleilaxu said:

It certainly does, Periplaneta certainly can't scale it under their own power, they make it a short distance, then slide back down. :D Ironically it seems on the surface the adults make it the furthest, but again once they reach a certain height they slide back down.

http://arachnoboards.com/threads/tleilaxu-does-not-approve.294913/

That thread link shows the max height any roach has made in that container before sliding back. And they have to put in some effort to even make it that far.

Aye, I've been following your topics here and on AB (I'm using my old account under the name of 'Vermis' over there) including your roaches sliding down the cheeseball jar. :) It's only just clicked that they 'should' be scooting to the top.

20 hours ago, Tleilaxu said:

Funny thing is though, I've seen these very same roaches easily climb a Gatorade bottle that is used for their capture, and they chill on the sides with no issue, I will see if I can find anything of use on that bottle that may explain the difference. Maybe properties change with shape? But at least now you can find similar looking containers to try.

Apparently it's made from the same plastic, it has the PETE on there, I can't quite make out the symbol in the recycling icon however.... EDIT: it's also a 1

Aha! The first spanner in the works. I wonder if the cheese left an oily residue on the plastic - though I'm not implying you didn't wash the jar well enough. :P

Anyways, thanks for the info. I'll stop hijacking the thread and go experiment with a water bottle and a few lobsters or something.

1 hour ago, WarrenB said:

Aye, I've been following your topics here and on AB (I'm using my old account under the name of 'Vermis' over there) including your roaches sliding down the cheeseball jar. :) It's only just clicked that they 'should' be scooting to the top.

Aha! The first spanner in the works. I wonder if the cheese left an oily residue on the plastic - though I'm not implying you didn't wash the jar well enough. :P

Anyways, thanks for the info. I'll stop hijacking the thread and go experiment with a water bottle and a few lobsters or something.

Ah ha my friend but I raise you a counter, :P the cleaner I keep said plastic, the harder time they have with it, just rubbing it with a moist paper towel once a week works very well, and decreases the maximum height they can achieve.

Nothing interesting to report on said colony at this time.

The collection is now complete, 10 Periplaneta australasiae and around 20 Surinames. Barring any unforeseen deaths or impressive wild specimens, I no longer need to aggressively bait for them

IMG_20170617_001546_zpskne8nxs4.jpg

Look how tiny the one australasiae nymph is, I have two around that size, the other being slightly smaller than that. The other is making a bolt up the side.

@Hisserdude @Cariblatta lutea @WarrenB

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Tleilaxu said:

The collection is now complete, 10 Periplaneta australasiae and around 20 Surinames. Barring any unforeseen deaths or impressive wild specimens, I no longer need to aggressively bait for them

Look how tiny the one australasiae nymph is, I have two around that size, the other being slightly smaller than that. The other is making a bolt up the side.

@Hisserdude @Cariblatta lutea @WarrenB

Nice new additions, hopefully the P.australasiae will grow and breed well for you! :) You'll be overrun with Surinams in no time, especially since you have lots of adults already!

• Like 1

An impressive new addition, which also resulted in me getting slightly injured.

But let's just say, #PeriplanetaForHisserDude may have some new ammo.

Introducing HisserDudette. 

IMG_20170622_000654_zpslv4yzhjf.jpg

IMG_20170622_000720_zpstsyp63ph.jpg

I don't know if she's atypical or not, but she is certainly prettier than a vast majority of videos and pictures would indicate. @Hisserdude @wizentrop @Allpet Roaches

Edited by Tleilaxu
  • Like 2

Hisserdudette LMAO, I'm honoured, but I still have the same stance on keeping Periplaneta! :P That being said, after telling my mom about our whole discussion both here and on AB, she said, "well, I guess they aren't any different from what you keep, so...", so I guess I have her permission now! :lol:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hisserdude said:

Hisserdudette LMAO, I'm honoured, but I still have the same stance on keeping Periplaneta! :P That being said, after telling my mom about our whole discussion both here and on AB, she said, "well, I guess they aren't any different from what you keep, so...", so I guess I have her permission now! :lol:

Your in too deep now, *Darth Vader voice* I have you now. I'm also not your father.

I don't care if you only keep a trio(preferably six), of either americana or australasiae in a single sex environment but now you must aquire them. I know without a doubt you have an empty enclosure, sitting forlornly in storage.

On a colony update it seems the cheese balls oils were what was keeping the roaches from climbing well, as things have worn off the smaller ones are able to get higher and higher, but still fail. The larger ones don't even try.

I think next month I will order some petroleum jelly, it's not an urgent matter. Hopefully I get some good pictures tonight.

Edited by Tleilaxu
  • Like 1

Your in too deep now, *Darth Vader voice* I have you now. I'm also not your father.

I don't care if you only keep a trio(preferably six), of either americana or australasiae in a single sex environment but now you must aquire them. I know without a doubt you have an empty enclosure, sitting forlornly in storage.

You're* :P

Oh I got tons of empty enclosures of various sizes in my garage, it's just a matter of how much space I have inside my room, and personal interest, of which I have very little in keeping Periplaneta at the moment! 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Hisserdude said:

You're* :P

Oh I got tons of empty enclosures of various sizes in my garage, it's just a matter of how much space I have inside my room, and personal interest, of which I have very little in keeping Periplaneta at the moment! 

On 6/1/2017 at 0:53 AM, Tleilaxu said:

#ShotDown

Well we got babies boiz!

Suriname babies to be precise.

Congrats, the first of many, trust me! :)

1 hour ago, Matttoadman said:

I like the P. Australiasea but I already have one climber. I tried lobsters and couldn't keep them in.

Eh? Petroleum jelly did not work for you? Not all roach species are equal climbers, and larger Periplaneta seem to be rather clumsy if the surface offers an "uncertain" footing.

Also having a container with a "screw" top works miracles.

And now for the only useful meme:

https://www.target.com/p/cheddar-cheese-balls-22-oz-market-pantry/-/A-13234606

That container is amazing. The cheese balls merely adequate.

Edited by Tleilaxu

9 hours ago, Tleilaxu said:

When I visited that page I got a popup - 'now shipping to the United Kingdom'. It's like a sign...

Edit: 'Only in stores'. Aw...

That container is amazing. The cheese balls merely adequate.

Merely adequate? Cheddar cheese that's both fluffy and crunchy?