Pycnoscelus surinamensis colony.

@HisserdudeLook at what you did, this is all your fault.

IMG_20170627_003932.jpg

In all seriousness I caught this poor sucker. It was really tiny, and had a shrunken abdomen.

IMG_20170627_003902.jpg

You can somewhat see how shrunk it was.

When I found it, I thought it was a different species of roach until I saw the shoulder patches. Very close resemblance to D. orini

What happened?

14 hours ago, Tleilaxu said:

@HisserdudeLook at what you did, this is all your fault.

In all seriousness I caught this poor sucker. It was really tiny, and had a shrunken abdomen.

You can somewhat see how shrunk it was.

When I found it, I thought it was a different species of roach until I saw the shoulder patches. Very close resemblance to D. orini

What happened?

How could I have even done anything to that poor roach lol, I live across the country from you! :lol:

Looks like a simple molting issue, the wings didn't develop properly for some reason. And it may just be starving/severely dehydrated as well, thus the shrunken abdomen.

27 minutes ago, Hisserdude said:

How could I have even done anything to that poor roach lol, I live across the country from you! :lol:

Looks like a simple molting issue, the wings didn't develop properly for some reason. And it may just be starving/severely dehydrated as well, thus the shrunken abdomen.

I was more along the lines of implying that because you didn't keep any Periplaneta species that caused this. LOL

But talk about a coincidence that this poor thing crawls towards me while I'm roach hunting. And a nice before and after.

IMG_20170627_014240_zpslfit01ct.jpg

After

IMG_20170627_154751_zpsx7mo1pwd.jpg

6 hours ago, Tleilaxu said:

I was more along the lines of implying that because you didn't keep any Periplaneta species that caused this. LOL

But talk about a coincidence that this poor thing crawls towards me while I'm roach hunting. And a nice before and after.

After

Jesus, you really fatten your roaches up quickly don't ya? :D

Because my threads apparently invoke several different conversation points within them! :P Plus my roach collection is more exotic, you gotta find some of the rare native and introduced FL species and start culturing those in addition to your Pycnoscelus and Periplaneta!

#DiversifyYourCollection

11 minutes ago, Tleilaxu said:

#DiversifyThis

These guys are non-stop ooth machines.

LMAO! :lol:

Yeah they are pretty prolific, they may actually coexist with the Surinams for a couple generations! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tleilaxu said:

Cool, the P.australasia look really good in this video! BTW, what's that little darkling beetle doing in there? Did you catch it yourself?

On 6/1/2017 at 0:53 AM, Tleilaxu said:

Well I can't get pics but I put in some bell peppers, and that's seems to be a major hit, I can hear every one fighting over it... There's a larger piece they don't seem to know about.

I figured the small one was an Ozzie due to how ornate it looked.

I have no idea how the beetles got in there, likely hitched rides on decorations.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tleilaxu said:

I have no idea how the beetles got in there, likely hitched rides on decorations.

Interesting! Well if you ever want them identified at least down to genus level, just take some closer pics of them and send them to me, I might be able to ID them for you. :)

9 hours ago, Hisserdude said:

Interesting! Well if you ever want them identified at least down to genus level, just take some closer pics of them and send them to me, I might be able to ID them for you. :)

Eh, I don't care about the darklings, the roaches like to pester them now and then.

Edited by Tleilaxu

• 1 month later...

Just as an update, the one female roach that was caught with malformed wings was also a virgin female. No ooth were produced by her until the very first male matured, now she is laying ooth and may get a chance to pass on her genes.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Tleilaxu said:

Just as an update, the one female roach that was caught with malformed wings was also a virgin female. No ooth were produced by her until the very first male matured, now she is laying ooth and may get a chance to pass on her genes.

Great, now you are gonna get more roaches with f'd up wings in your culture! :P JK, I'm assuming the damage to here wings was because of a mis-molt, not genetics, (though that certainly could be a possibility).

Hope she lays lots of fertile ooths for you! :)

• 1 month later...

I'm so furious right now, an inconsiderate room mate moved my colonies outside and the americana got hit with direct sunlight and it appears all of them are dead. I have them in a cool location in hopes they may revive but I'm not hopeful. Not to mention some of these americana were huge and irreplaceable. I don't know if the ooth will be viable after this, but I've been severely setback in my efforts to breed a giant strain. And the location I'm at is devoid of wild stock.

These were my three largest and positively dwarfed some of the wild adults I've seen. Not to mention these guys were cocky, and always hanging out.

The Suriname roaches are dead as well.

The Australian roaches seem to be fine, though I'm going to have to look through to make sure there are no casualties there.

6 hours ago, Tleilaxu said:

I'm so furious right now, an inconsiderate room mate moved my colonies outside and the americana got hit with direct sunlight and it appears all of them are dead. I have them in a cool location in hopes they may revive but I'm not hopeful. Not to mention some of these americana were huge and irreplaceable. I don't know if the ooth will be viable after this, but I've been severely setback in my efforts to breed a giant strain. And the location I'm at is devoid of wild stock.

IMG_20170917_144352.jpg

IMG_20170917_144422.jpg

These were my three largest and positively dwarfed some of the wild adults I've seen. Not to mention these guys were cocky, and always hanging out.

The Suriname roaches are dead as well.

The Australian roaches seem to be fine, though I'm going to have to look through to make sure there are no casualties there.

WTF, that's horrible, why did he do that!?!? :angry::( That really sucks man, so sorry to hear that, perhaps the Periplaneta laid some oothecae that could have survived?

Glad the Aussies are OK, my deepest condolences for everything else though. 

I have no idea, well I used said person's kitchen strainer to attempt to salvage the ooth.

Not as much as I had hoped, but I hope they are viable.

Either way I have them on moist paper towels and have removed all the substrate, in case I need to ship them.

I can only hope they hatch in three months time.

12 minutes ago, Tleilaxu said:

I have no idea, well I used said person's kitchen strainer to attempt to salvage the ooth.

Not as much as I had hoped, but I hope they are viable.

Either way I have them on moist paper towels and have removed all the substrate, in case I need to ship them.

I can only hope they hatch in three months time.

I really hope those ooths survived, if so then maybe you can rear up some giants again. Be sure to keep us updated! 

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, Tleilaxu said:

I don't know if it means anything or not, but the ooth have not molded up or anything, do nonviable ooth show any characteristics? 

Usually nonviable ooths mold up along the top where the "hatching seam" is, (not the technical term probably, but whatever). Sometimes bad ooths just look normal forever though, until you open them up yourself to reveal the rotten contents. 

They (the americana)got curious when the lid is opened, but the ones I have and had never made a serious effort to escape when I opened it.

The Australian roaches generally hide when I open the lid.

That said if they felt cornered by what I was doing, then you would see some impressive acrobatics but once they "got used" to me messing around even that became less frequent. From my experience they seem rather quick on the uptake and if they don't see you as a serious threat they aren't going to be dashing around. That said they will not tolerate handling, look but don't touch.

Just don't leave the lid opened for prolonged periods without supervision. They will also make a concerted effort to find escape routes when placed in a new cage but once they can't they will settle down to a normal routine.

@Hisserdude I will give the ooth a closer inspection tomorrow, though I'm not going to open any until three months have passed. For a "pest species" they take their sweet time hatching.