Followers 0
Tleilaxu

Pycnoscelus surinamensis colony.

92 posts in this topic

Ooth, glorious ooth.

IMG_20170626_032756.jpg

The other adult has one.

1 person likes this

@HisserdudeLook at what you did, this is all your fault.

IMG_20170627_003932.jpg

In all seriousness I caught this poor sucker. It was really tiny, and had a shrunken abdomen.

IMG_20170627_003902.jpg

You can somewhat see how shrunk it was.

IMG_20170627_003951.jpg

When I found it, I thought it was a different species of roach until I saw the shoulder patches. Very close resemblance to D. orini

What happened?

14 hours ago, Tleilaxu said:

@HisserdudeLook at what you did, this is all your fault.

In all seriousness I caught this poor sucker. It was really tiny, and had a shrunken abdomen.

You can somewhat see how shrunk it was.

When I found it, I thought it was a different species of roach until I saw the shoulder patches. Very close resemblance to D. orini

What happened?

How could I have even done anything to that poor roach lol, I live across the country from you! :lol:

Looks like a simple molting issue, the wings didn't develop properly for some reason. And it may just be starving/severely dehydrated as well, thus the shrunken abdomen.

27 minutes ago, Hisserdude said:

How could I have even done anything to that poor roach lol, I live across the country from you! :lol:

Looks like a simple molting issue, the wings didn't develop properly for some reason. And it may just be starving/severely dehydrated as well, thus the shrunken abdomen.

I was more along the lines of implying that because you didn't keep any Periplaneta species that caused this. LOL

But talk about a coincidence that this poor thing crawls towards me while I'm roach hunting. And a nice before and after.

IMG_20170627_014240_zpslfit01ct.jpg

After

IMG_20170627_154751_zpsx7mo1pwd.jpg

6 hours ago, Tleilaxu said:

I was more along the lines of implying that because you didn't keep any Periplaneta species that caused this. LOL

But talk about a coincidence that this poor thing crawls towards me while I'm roach hunting. And a nice before and after.

After

Jesus, you really fatten your roaches up quickly don't ya? :D

Hey how come my thread isn't hot with 80 replies but HisserDude thread is? #Rigged.

Because my threads apparently invoke several different conversation points within them! :P Plus my roach collection is more exotic, you gotta find some of the rare native and introduced FL species and start culturing those in addition to your Pycnoscelus and Periplaneta!

#DiversifyYourCollection

#DiversifyThis

IMG_20170628_001549.jpg

These guys are non-stop ooth machines.

1 person likes this

11 minutes ago, Tleilaxu said:

#DiversifyThis

These guys are non-stop ooth machines.

LMAO! :lol:

Yeah they are pretty prolific, they may actually coexist with the Surinams for a couple generations! 

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, Tleilaxu said:

Cool, the P.australasia look really good in this video! BTW, what's that little darkling beetle doing in there? Did you catch it yourself?

On 6/1/2017 at 0:53 AM, Tleilaxu said:

Well I can't get pics but I put in some bell peppers, and that's seems to be a major hit, I can hear every one fighting over it... There's a larger piece they don't seem to know about.

I figured the small one was an Ozzie due to how ornate it looked.

I have no idea how the beetles got in there, likely hitched rides on decorations.

1 person likes this

2 hours ago, Tleilaxu said:

I have no idea how the beetles got in there, likely hitched rides on decorations.

Interesting! Well if you ever want them identified at least down to genus level, just take some closer pics of them and send them to me, I might be able to ID them for you. :)

9 hours ago, Hisserdude said:

Interesting! Well if you ever want them identified at least down to genus level, just take some closer pics of them and send them to me, I might be able to ID them for you. :)

Eh, I don't care about the darklings, the roaches like to pester them now and then.

Edited by Tleilaxu

Self explanatory, but my roaches under red light.

Just as an update, the one female roach that was caught with malformed wings was also a virgin female. No ooth were produced by her until the very first male matured, now she is laying ooth and may get a chance to pass on her genes.

1 person likes this

8 hours ago, Tleilaxu said:

Just as an update, the one female roach that was caught with malformed wings was also a virgin female. No ooth were produced by her until the very first male matured, now she is laying ooth and may get a chance to pass on her genes.

Great, now you are gonna get more roaches with f'd up wings in your culture! :P JK, I'm assuming the damage to here wings was because of a mis-molt, not genetics, (though that certainly could be a possibility).

Hope she lays lots of fertile ooths for you! :)