Ootheca being eaten

So I had my harlyquin roaches in a multi-species setup then saw an eaten ootheca so I separated them. Now they are on their own with a few isopods and it happened again. Are they eating their own ootheca or is it the isos? I stoped feeding dog food to most of my collection cause it molds to fast. Also they havnt got fruit in awhile just carrot. I have had them for awhile now and still no nymphs im glad they have been long lived. Any suggestions would be great. :)

Isopods can eat ooths, and therefore are not recommended for egg laying species. However Blattids WILL eat their ooths without any protein, are you at least feeding them chick feed, oats, or something with some sort of protein in it?

They can't breed on fruits and veggies alone, or at least they won't stop eating their ooths when fed just fruits and veggies. You can remove the ooths, I suppose, but after a couple generations that will become a tedious process...

Ahh I kinda thought that might be it. I gave meager offerings of cheerios but I'm sure not enough. I think I will separate the ootheca for now just to make sure I get a second generation while I get all the isos out. Thanks Hisserdude!

I'm having the exact same problem with my E.sinensis"White Eye", but some cannibalism also seems to be involved. However, am feeding nearly 50% dog food along with apple, banana, carrot, and a couple other things. Any idea what could be going wrong in my situation?

8 hours ago, lovebugfarm said:

Ahh I kinda thought that might be it. I gave meager offerings of cheerios but I'm sure not enough. I think I will separate the ootheca for now just to make sure I get a second generation while I get all the isos out. Thanks Hisserdude!

Yeah, must need more protein than that. OK, hope you can get the remaining ooths to hatch! :)

15 minutes ago, All About Insects said:

I'm having the exact same problem with my E.sinensis"White Eye", but some cannibalism also seems to be involved. However, am feeding nearly 50% dog food along with apple, banana, carrot, and a couple other things. Any idea what could be going wrong in my situation?

Are you keeping them moist enough? Sometimes roaches cannibalize due to dehydration, or overcrowding. Other than those two, not sure why your Eupolyphaga are eating their ooths...

2 minutes ago, Hisserdude said:

Are you keeping them moist enough? Sometimes roaches cannibalize due to dehydration, or overcrowding. Other than those two, not sure why your Eupolyphaga are eating their ooths...

I'm pretty sure I am; just a bit drier than Therea. I'll try providing them a little more moisture anyway to see if that helps. I was thinking about overcrowding too, but I only have 15 of them in a 6 or so quart bin so I pretty much ruled that out.