Periplaneta sp. appreciation thread.

I know some if you guys keep these borderline pests, due to their looks or active disposition when they are awake.

So let's see your colonies, or individuals you may have.

P. anericanus

IMG_20170606_005136.jpg

IMG_20170531_234037.jpg

IMG_20170529_000459.jpg

P. australasiae

If you're not a particular fan of this genus, watch Joe's Apartment, and get back to us. :P

I've done enough shilling, now it's your turn. ;)

You know, some people keep a white eyed strain of P.americana, you should look into getting some of those if you really like this genus! :D

Well I've released my American roaches back to the wild, to make room for more Australian roaches. I'm sure the neighbors will love the super charged females lol. I did however managed to capture many of their shenanigans, so enjoy.

IMG_20170610_020903719_zpsgqvjklw6.jpg

IMG_20170610_020930266_zps2vd6oqma.jpg

Now an attempted robbery.

IMG_20170610_020935223_zps6gcppdgv.jpg

IMG_20170610_022238907_zpsozeq7fcw.jpg

IMG_20170611_010656409_zps6dnmezyu.jpg

I hope if I work with this species again I can get Florida stock, since they seem to be massive, even my snapping turtle likes to hunt these guys down. (Don't worry, all the ones from the colony were released, near where they were found.)

Now let's see yours people. :P I don't like spamming my own threads. ;)

Edited by Tleilaxu

• 1 month later...

Keeping this thread going! I love Periplaneta.

P. americana

35614153345_a96457db24_c.jpg

P. australasiae

35574946876_574b7a9bdb_c.jpg

34804885213_abef4963ca_c.jpg

P. brunnea

35226464640_04738ee9c0_c.jpg

P. fuliginosa

35614095825_0819121fe4_c.jpg

P. japonica

34804143773_b8e05088bd_c.jpg

As I was posting this I realized I have yet to take any photos of my White Eye P. americana...one more pic to come!

• Like 3

How are your P.japonica doing BTW? That's one species I may want to keep some day, so long as they aren't too prolific.

They're doing really well however I know people have had issues with their colonies reaching a point where ooths no longer hatch and the adults die off slowly. Could have something to do with a needed cool period/diapause or possibly sterile males. I'm hoping this doesn't happen though. I've got several adults and a few subadult nymphs, and about half a dozen ooths that look good so far that I'm waiting to see if they hatch. They definitely seem slower in reproduction than my other Periplaneta.

• Like 1

Thank God another likes this genus.

A diapause period should not be difficult to give for ooths or a small number of colonies, placing them in a fridge or a cool basement for the winter. You may have issue in tropical regions, but it may be worth a shot.

You probably could setup a wine cooler and keep a small to medium sized colony easily, and given the "hype" of Periplaneta japonica being snow and cold tolerant, I can well believe that they need a winter dormancy.

On 8/2/2017 at 8:10 AM, CodeWilster said:

They're doing really well however I know people have had issues with their colonies reaching a point where ooths no longer hatch and the adults die off slowly. Could have something to do with a needed cool period/diapause or possibly sterile males. I'm hoping this doesn't happen though. I've got several adults and a few subadult nymphs, and about half a dozen ooths that look good so far that I'm waiting to see if they hatch. They definitely seem slower in reproduction than my other Periplaneta.

Yeah, quite a few people have lost their cultures, they definitely don't seem like the pest a lot of news outlets were making them out to be!

Hope your ooths end up hatching, would be great if they could be consistently bred without a diapause period!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, Tleilaxu said:

I finally got Periplaneta australasiae nymphs. After three months. Only six or so...

Awesome, congratulations!! :D

On 9/8/2017 at 5:02 PM, Nicolas Rousseaux said:

What about Periplaneta americana "black"? :P
I need to take better pictures of this strain...

P8210773 (Copy).JPG

Damn I may have to hit you up for some of those once things settle down.

Don't you dare lose that strain.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey @Tleilaxu, someone mixed the "Black" P.americana strain with the "White eyed" ones, check it out! :D I must admit, if those ever make their way to the US, I'll probably get some, those are just too freaking cool! 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Matttoadman said:

Oh crap they look like that evil Spider-Man  dude Venom?

Yeah, they kinda do lol! :D