Dealing with tiny nymphs

So how do you guys go about collecting tiny nymphs from your bins, such as little Kenyans? I am still thinking about getting them to use as feeders for my rubber frogs. 

4 hours ago, Tleilaxu said:

I don't really have much experience removing and sorting out different size roaches for feeding purposes, so I'm not sure I can be too helpful here. If I need a certain sized roach, I'll just dig around in a colony, find an appropriate sized specimen, and take it out by hand.

That makes sense. Feeding baby dubia isn't working too well. I just found a dozen hiding in the tank. Since it is a vivarium I don't need adult dubia bulldozing loose. At least with little Kenyans if they get out of the feeding dish and molt to adult they could still be eaten. 

Just now, Matttoadman said:

Not sarcasm. Why would they not work?

The absolute first thing they do when they hit the ground is burrow, if you have a nice vivarium, they will then infest it via parthenogenetic reproduction.(depending on the species)

Isopods would be good because I could just allow them to "free range" in the vivarium. Maybe my answer is not one stable feeder but multiple? Below is a shot of my vivarium. It has been going for about a month. It is an African Savannah set up. Not all the plants are African though. Throughout the spring-fall it will be the rainy season. Then in winter I will allow it to dry out some. These guys eat ants and termites in the wild. I thought I was getting Phrynomantis bifasciatus, a slightly larger species that is more open to feeder size. These guys, Phrynomantis microps, are smaller and prefer smaller prey. I have witnessed them eating the newborn dubia and pantanal, but the escapees will be problematic in my set up as the plants grow. I am maintaining a group of termites outside and they eagerly eat them. However these won't give me a constant supply. Ants just run out the top as these are slow frogs. 

IMG_4201.JPG

IMG_4202.JPG

• Like 1

I collect tiny nymps with a trap. A small box with food and tiny holes of such size that only the nymphs can enter. Once there are enough nymphs in it, I put my finger over the holes and take the trap out of the enclosure.

• Like 1