Wilted kale?

Matttoadman

I have collected some isopods from back yard here in Kentucky. I assume they are from the Armadillidium genus. Is wilted kale an good food source? I throw away a lot of it from my bearded dragons tank. 

As an occasional treat, yeah, they eat kale. It won't act as a substitute for decaying hardwood leaves though, which are essential to their diet, and decay differently than kale leaves do.

• Like 1

You are correct about the Porcellio scaber, however your Porcellionides could possibly be P.floria instead of P.pruinosus, I have no idea how to differentiate the two...

39 minutes ago, Hisserdude said:

You are correct about the Porcellio scaber, however your Porcellionides could possibly be P.floria instead of P.pruinosus, I have no idea how to differentiate the two...

I read on roachcrossing that DNA is the only way to differentiate. I live in Ky so perhaps it could be floria? I am still surprised how dry the barn was I found them. 

33 minutes ago, Matttoadman said:

I read on roachcrossing that DNA is the only way to differentiate. I live in Ky so perhaps it could be floria? I am still surprised how dry the barn was I found them. 

Yeah, so basically you are going to have to be happy calling just naming them Porcellionides lol! At least where you live, since both species range into KY I'm sure, (whereas here in ID, P.floria supposedly isn't present).

Yeah, Porcellionides pruinosus and floria are often found in rather dry areas, and are pretty dry hardy isopods. I find them in dry places no other isopods dare to go lol!

• 5 years later...

Nice to know.  There has got to be moisture nearby somewhere.