The insect-site shortage

Guest AlexW

Guest AlexW

Hello all, I'm here for a few short visits.

As many people are highly averse to arthropods, I'm having trouble finding suitable links and beetleforum is slower-moving them the life of a Therea roach. Apparently the European and Japanese hobbies are much more vigorous due to looser restrictions on importing certain exotic insect groups, but I don't live in Europe or Japan. Also, large and flashy animals seem to get all the attention but it is illegal to own many of them and I am not highly interested in them.

Does anyone have links to insect sites that focus more on invertebrates in captivity, and don't specialize on big exotic scarabs, stagbeetles, and arachnids? Ones I can participate in are even better.

(And don't mention bugsincyberspace, bugguide, roachcrossing, Elytra + antenna, I've been to all of them.)

AlexW from beetleforum

Have you checked out arachnoboards? I know the main focus is on tarantulas, but they have sections that deal with true spiders, sentipedes, millipedes, and other arthropods, and regarding there captive care

I had the same issue its kinda crazy theres only 3-4 big name people in the non-tarantula side of the hobby. In the fact that they have their own sites and sell insects as their sole lively hood. My first suggestion is facebook groups many are international discussion groups but some are US specific and there are some devoted classified groups. I find them very enjoyable. Theres also faunaclassifieds I go there sometimes cool stuff pops up. Oh and mantidforum.net I tried keeping mantids and failed so I havnt tried recently but they can be cool to read about.

Guest AlexW

Yes, I have been scouring accounts for blogs.

Anyone who isn't Hisserdude want to self-promote? I've only seen a small handful of blogs.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Guest AlexW said:

Anyone who isn't Hisserdude want to self-promote? I've only seen a small handful of blogs.

Right in my signature :P 

Guest AlexW

You were already one of that "small handful" a few months ago, by the way.

How come it seems that any time I forget to mention something (in the hopes that people will skip it over) someone posts that exact thing at me? :)

I have a whole bunch of insect blogs and sites bookmarked on my computer, will see if I can get on there today and share some links.

Are you specifically looking for US based sites? There seem to be a lot more foreign bug keeping sites out there than US ones, due to their loose importing laws...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Guest AlexW said:

You were already one of that "small handful" a few months ago, by the way.

How come it seems that any time I forget to mention something (in the hopes that people will skip it over) someone posts that exact thing at me? :)

Figured so, but I had to make sure. ;) 

Probably just dumb luck, but there is an edit option on here to eliminate that problem in the future. ;) 

Guest AlexW
22 hours ago, Hisserdude said:

I have a whole bunch of insect blogs and sites bookmarked on my computer, will see if I can get on there today and share some links.

Are you specifically looking for US based sites? There seem to be a lot more foreign bug keeping sites out there than US ones, due to their loose importing laws...

Either specifically US or international will do.

On 7/15/2017 at 6:47 PM, Guest AlexW said:

Apparently the European and Japanese hobbies are much more vigorous due to looser restrictions on importing certain exotic insect groups, but I don't live in Europe or Japan.

It is true many other countries have many more spectacular animals available due to less intrusive government. However, I think it has been a long time since it was true that those hobbies were more vigorous in terms of participation. I originally put up the E & A websites because there was nothing of any use in the late 1990's on the web for invert enthusiasts. One day I'll let the site fall off the web when I'm tired of paying for it as there's plenty of interest on the boards and all the facebook groups are free to host and there are plenty.

• Like 1

Guest AlexW
2 hours ago, Allpet Roaches said:

It is true many other countries have many more spectacular animals available due to less intrusive government. However, I think it has been a long time since it was true that those hobbies were more vigorous in terms of participation. I originally put up the E & A websites because there was nothing of any use in the late 1990's on the web for invert enthusiasts. One day I'll let the site fall off the web when I'm tired of paying for it as there's plenty of interest on the boards and all the facebook groups are free to host and there are plenty.

Well yes, but I stare for long periods at pretty beetles like Tritoma sanguinipennis and Penthe obliquata on bugguide, wishing that someone besides me was interested in keeping them.

On 7/18/2017 at 3:16 PM, Guest AlexW said:

Either specifically US or international will do.

BugTracks: While technically not about invertebrates in captivity, he does rear lots of leafmining insects from larvae to adulthood. 

Insects and Arachnids: By our very own @pannaking22, some posts are about invertebrates in captivity, and others are about wild ones. :)

Periplaneta Missionary: By @Tleilaxu, a new blog about keeping Periplaneta. 

Roach Brain: Mostly research and stuff, but it does have a neat World Cockroach Culture list, (I should really re-submit my data with all the new species I have there...).

• Like 2

Guest AlexW

martinsmoths.blogspot.com

I know it's UK and nonroachy but it probably doesn't matter, since few entomophiles are obligate monophages.

Guess where I saw it? Bugtracks comments.

• 4 weeks later...

Here's a paradox for all of you:

It takes a long time to update websites and blog and forum posts, but they can be read in minutes. Moreover, circumstances impede progress. Thoughts?

I may be launching a website next summer or fall, I'm hoping to take pointers from bugs in syberspace, roach crossing, and cape cod roaches. And create a superior website, I also have a few suppliers lined up, I'm hoping to offer a large selection of insects, and my goal Is to keep at least 20 tarantula speces in stock, which will be a little bit of a challenge. And I should be able to offer some stuff no one else has acces to,

Do you have s website already? I'm intisiping that it will be over a year for me, it should rival bugs in syberspaces site