Orchid bark?

lbrit17

I'm so sorry if I'm being annoying.. I'm learning!

I don't know what it is with the stinking mold, and it's probably a mix of things, but I was wondering since misting isn't a big deal apparently, if there was another substrate I could buy, such as orchid bark or something.

Which species are we talking about here? Orchid bark could work for some roaches, but it would be too coarse for most burrowing species I think. Coconut fiber shouldn't mold by itself, only if there are food crumbs or sometimes leaf litter mixed in should it be molding, and even then a good cleanup crew such as springtails should really help to keep mold growth down.

• Like 1

Is it pure coconut fiber? Or is there any organic fertilizer added?
I know that if I add organic fertilizer (dung based), I get mold all over the substrate (and loads of gnats soon thereafter). 

• Like 1

Orchid bark would work for the hissers, they don't need to burrow.

That's really weird, don't know why it's molding up, I never get mold issues unless there is food in the substrate. Perhaps it's their grass that is making the substrate mold? Could be the case if they are kept pretty humid.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, lbrit17 said:

What's their grass?

I don't think the humidity is high, I haven't misted in 3-4 days and it's feels pretty dry.

And it's not just the substrate, the log molded as well

Dang autocorrect, I meant frass, poop lol.

That's really weird, never experienced anything like that, don't really know what's happening in your enclosure...

It might be a mix of things I guess. It's pretty hot and humid outside and mixed with their poop and moisture in there, maybe? I'll buy some orchid bark or something similar and see how that works. Are there any other substrates I should be aware of and use instead if orchid bark?

I had something similar occur in my nearly bone dry and highly ventilated Elliptorhina laevigata enclosure when I just used plain coconut fiber(plantation soil) with dead leaves on top. The corners of the enclosure where all the frass would accumulate became pretty moldy and also spread to the leaves, but after I switched to a substrate mix of coconut fiber, coconut husk, sphagnum moss, cypress mulch, and dead leaves everything became fine! A mixture of those various components seems to aerate the substrate very well, in turn taking care of most molds. :) 

• Like 1

Just out of curiosity, is anyone using ABG mix as a substrate, or something similar? 

• 1 month later...

Don't know if anyone is still following this older thread, but I use ABG type mixture in two planted vivs for my snakes, and love it.   NewEnglandHerpetoculture is my source.  Pricey, but totally worth it.  Stays light and fluffy, plants go well in it.  Never had any mold.