Dubia Selective Breeding Project

Hey everyone!

I've been doing some reading here on the forums lately and I am going to attempt to create a few different color strains of B. Dubia. I have read several threads on dubia with yellow or 'gold' colored bodies and that really inspired me to try my hand at selective breeding. If anyone has any knowledge, links, books etc. on genetics of roaches, (ANYTHING at all,) please tell me. Anyone with pictures of odd B. Dubia or any species for that matter, feel free to post on here or send me a link to a picture. BTW, how the heck do I post a picture on here?!

Wish me luck!

-Joshua

I'm curently working with gold Dubia, I just need my female to mature, I may be selling them later in the year. I got them from cape cod roaches, if there out of stock message him and he may add some in stock for you that's what I did. I also separated a female from my normal Colony that has some orange hilights and a blond colored male as a future breeding project.

1 hour ago, Redmont said:

I'm curently working with gold Dubia, I just need my female to mature, I may be selling them later in the year. I got them from cape cod roaches, if there out of stock message him and he may add some in stock for you that's what I did. I also separated a female from my normal Colony that has some orange hilights and a blond colored male as a future breeding project.

Very cool! I'm going to work with what already have, but I didn't know that cape cod roaches was selling a gold strain dubia. Got any pictures of your current stock? I would love to see them!

On 7/28/2017 at 10:17 AM, Dubia4Life said:

Very cool! I'm going to work with what already have, but I didn't know that cape cod roaches was selling a gold strain dubia. Got any pictures of your current stock? I would love to see them!

I still need to figure out how to post pictures, I may post some later once I get it figured out.

9 hours ago, Hisserdude said:

Cape cod's gold stock is nothing compared to that of @JohnFrost's unfortunately I don't think John has any for sale currently. :(

My 2 males from cape cod's are a nice golden Color, but my immature female needs about 2 more molts to adult hood, and she has more brown then gold on her, but I'm hoping she colors up For me. I'll have to Isolate the strain further to get better results!

12 hours ago, Hisserdude said:

Cape cod's gold stock is nothing compared to that of @JohnFrost's unfortunately I don't think John has any for sale currently. :(

I have seen pictures of his project on here! I was very impressed with his work!

I'm hoping to get several color morphs and try to isolate them as best I can. I have loved dubias ever since I was introduced to them as feeders for my reptiles, but now that I don't really have any reptiles I want to focus on making B. Dubia more attractive to the world as feeders AND/OR pets. I know selectively breeding to get 'pretty' color morphs probably won't change most people's minds about the stereotypical cockroach, BUT, I'm hoping to help maybe get rid of that stereotype and open people's mind about these humble little fellas by spreading knowledge about how wonderful they are. I'm rambling now, but that's kinda how I am :P

Anyways, does anyone have any idea where I can look for info on genetics of roaches, for example a research paper? What about you @Hisserdude? Any ideas from anyone?

I don't know that much about genetics, sorry! All I know if that if you see some interesting looking specimens with nice coloration, isolate them and breed them with similar looking individuals if you can, and just keep selectively breeding through generations until they are breeding true and giving you the coloration that you want. :)

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Hisserdude said:

I don't know that much about genetics, sorry! All I know if that if you see some interesting looking specimens with nice coloration, isolate them and breed them with similar looking individuals if you can, and just keep selectively breeding through generations until they are breeding true and giving you the coloration that you want. :)

It's fine! That's about all I know as well lol!

• Like 1