Feeding roach colony while away

Twilightroach

What types of food can I put in my turkistan roach colony that won't spoil or get rotten but also last several days. I would like the colony to be self sufficient while I am away.
I was planning on putting a lot of fish food pellets and also an apple, maybe cut in half? and some flukers calcium cricket diet. But I am unsure of the cricket food, has anyone fed that to roaches before? And how likely would it be for the apple to rot and mold?

How long can roaches last without food if they eat all the food?

How long are you going to be away? I don't keep Turkistan roaches, however, I do keep naupheta cinerea or lobster roaches and they can eat an entire orange in less than an hour! In other words, they're ALWAYS hungry lol. I'm guessing a few apple slices would work, maybe a carrot if you are worried about it going bad or growing mold. I've left my lobster roach colony for a little more than a week before and they were just fine, I gave them carrot and crushed dog food for protein.

As for cricket chow I'm sure it will be okay, though like I said, I just use crushed dog food.

So do you guys think they need fed while your gone? I have been away twice now for over a week and each time I have fed them the normal dry fair ( oats, catfood) before leaving. Perhaps even throw in some leaves. I also turn off the heating elements, water the humid species and leave water crystals for the dry species. I have had no issues other than an aborted ooth or two. I think leaving any fresh food items risks a mess. It's kind of like fish. People try to rig up feeding things and it usually fouls the water. I feed my roaches every 2-3 days so I guess I think they can handle a week. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Matttoadman said:

So do you guys think they need fed while your gone? I have been away twice now for over a week and each time I have fed them the normal dry fair ( oats, catfood) before leaving. Perhaps even throw in some leaves. I also turn off the heating elements, water the humid species and leave water crystals for the dry species. I have had no issues other than an aborted ooth or two. I think leaving any fresh food items risks a mess. It's kind of like fish. People try to rig up feeding things and it usually fouls the water. I feed my roaches every 2-3 days so I guess I think they can handle a week. 

That's a good point, the food could very well spoil while you're gone. But carrot doesn't seem to spoil very quickly to me, if anything it just kind of dries out on the outside and withers up. If it was humid there is a higher risk of mold I would assume. With my lobster roaches they eat the food so fast it kind of doesn't have a chance to mold. I do think they need something for moisture, such as fruit or vegetables. But water crystals would work along with dry food. To answer you're question, yes I think they need some form of food and water while you're gone depending on how long you're away.

• Like 1

Roaches can generally survive with out food for up two 3 weeks and water for a week, just make sure they get fed plenty of roach chow before you go and they will be fine food wise, as for moisture I use Asian beetle jellies when I go on a trip, the roaches go crazy for them and they don't mold, the can be purchased at Bugs in Syberspace or at Amazon in bulk!