All-male A. tesselata colony?

Good day :)

One of my nymph of A. tesselata just molted into adulthood. The thing is, I thought all my almost-adult nymphs were female, but the shed skin heavily implies it was actually a male that molted.

I had to separate my other two males recently... so my question is:

Would an all-male colony be peaceful? And are they only aggressive if females are part of a colony?

It'd be great if that was possible, as I am running out of boxes to keep them all in separately. There'd be only two males in said colony for now :o

Thanks for your help :)

Are you trying to keep them separately to not breed? Personally I keep mine at 5 males for every 20 females. As for the male maturing when your larger nymphs were female. It maybe that the males grow and mature faster than females which is true of many other species. As for a all male colony it should be fine as there are many high spots for climbing. They will be territorial and there will be some wing biteing but I had a colony of about 20 males that were peaceful...until I found someone locally with a large monitor lizard.

Hope this helps :)

First of all thank you for your replies, you two :)

@lovebugfarm I am more trying to keep the males from inconveniencing each other so much they cannot get around properly anymore (i.e. biting off each others legs). My colony is not that big yet (plus I had two fatalities in the female department), I still have more females than males but nowhere near your proportions :)

I didn't know males matured faster... but it makes sense. You learn something new every day :P I hope my near-adult females pull through and take out the tension a bit. Plus, I guess general rivalry is normal, I just hope it won't be non-stop fighting.

@Allpet Roaches That is good to know and hopefully something I can look foward to in the future. Maybe I am also blowing things out of proportion, since I am still a newbie concering keeping roaches as pets :o

Once again, thank you~

On 8/12/2017 at 6:51 AM, hundefrau said:

First of all thank you for your replies, you two :)

@lovebugfarm I am more trying to keep the males from inconveniencing each other so much they cannot get around properly anymore (i.e. biting off each others legs). My colony is not that big yet (plus I had two fatalities in the female department), I still have more females than males but nowhere near your proportions :)

I didn't know males matured faster... but it makes sense. You learn something new every day :P I hope my near-adult females pull through and take out the tension a bit. Plus, I guess general rivalry is normal, I just hope it won't be non-stop fighting.

@Allpet Roaches That is good to know and hopefully something I can look foward to in the future. Maybe I am also blowing things out of proportion, since I am still a newbie concering keeping roaches as pets :o

Once again, thank you~

Sorry for not replying sooner I only get on occasionally these days. I havnt heard of males loseing legs that's intense. What size is your setup they like a lot of room. Also climbing space is important the males try to get as high as they can if there is only one thing to climb they may fight more. When I had all the males and females together before I had them in a BIG bin. I think the main key is climbing though and once there are baby's you will want 2-3 inches for them to burrow in while the adults hang out up higher. Hope this helps :)

4 hours ago, lovebugfarm said:

Sorry for not replying sooner I only get on occasionally these days. I havnt heard of males loseing legs that's intense. What size is your setup they like a lot of room. Also climbing space is important the males try to get as high as they can if there is only one thing to climb they may fight more. When I had all the males and females together before I had them in a BIG bin. I think the main key is climbing though and once there are baby's you will want 2-3 inches for them to burrow in while the adults hang out up higher. Hope this helps :)

No worries :)

They are in a 12 gallon bin, it's 56 x 39 x 28 (cm) in size, so I have room to build up in their new bin (which is the same size). I actually noticed that even my adults like to hide in the substrate a lot, while they do have several climbing spots available (as of right now it's large flower pots, but I want to switch to/ add stones and maybe branches... depending on if I find any suitable ones).

You helped a lot, thanks :D