MITES

MITES

Posted by NewBlaberusRoachColonyOwner on 10/11/2006, 11:11 pm

MITES,

How do you get rid of mites??? I am talking about the little brownish white ones that are smaller than a pinhead. I have heard many say use isopods to eat the scrap food, use predatory mites to eat the infesting mites, and even some have said eliminate all of the substrate.

All of this may help bring their numbers down but none of them ELIMINATE the mites period. Some have claimed that they do not have them but if they look hard enough they will find them.

So, does anybody hav any FACTUAL METHODS that will KILL ALL OF THE MITES without harming the roaches?

Thanks,

NewBlaberusRoachColonyOwner

Posted by Dave on 12/25/2006, 8:15 pm, in reply to "MITES"

I had mites one time with my first collony of hissers, its simple, lower humidity. Sorry I can't give you a more complicated method.

I also use vermiculite for substraite, it is non-organic, so it does not harbor pests unless plant or animal matter is mixed in with it and it is kept too moist. keep food in containers. Thats about it. I have to admit, it is a sort of balancing act between too little and too much humidity, but you will learn it.

Good luck, Dave

davegrimm1@gmail.com

Re: MITES LongShotOption

Posted by NewBlaberusRoachColonyOwner on 1/1/2007, 11:06 am, in reply to "Re: MITES"

The only other possibility that I can see would be to use the Blatta lateralis also known as the Turkistan roach or the red runner.

Since they in fact drop their oothecas behind and the nymphs hatch from there a person could attempt and collect the oothecas and examine the egg cases with a hand held loop. I have several plastic loops from 10x up too 30x that I use for looking at fine areas on plants.

Assuming that those nasty pinhead whitish mites do NOT burrow into the lateralis's oothecas then you could place many of them in an isolation egg hatching tank far far away from the main colony.

I have heard they will not survive in dry and colder climates but I have seen them and they do move very very

FAST---->>>

They also do have an odd smelling odor of some type which is no where near as bad as the crickets smell but but they do have an odor and it is different than crickets odor. I can not say for sure how long escaped animals will live outside a controled enviroment. Living for over a year long is a benefit as long as they will in fact die if escaped.

Does anybody know 100% for sure if the Blatta lateralis can live at tempuratures below 75F and moisture below 30% if they escaped in the home???

Just an idea

FORMERLY A

Posted by Dave on 1/1/2007, 1:14 pm, in reply to "Re: MITES"

Thats a sollution on the high end of the extreme scale, did you know that there are mites everywhere? They are on your body right now.

It's a part of life. I have 32 species of roaches and hundreds of thousands of individuals for several years now and mites are not pests here. They may be present, but not a problem.

I am not into reptiles much either ,but I have hundreds of Tarantulas and there is nothing that is going to make me go back to crickets, EVER!

Have Happy New Year!!!!!!!!!

Posted by NewBlaberusRoachColonyOwner on 1/1/2007, 1:30 pm, in reply to "Re: MITES"

Thanks Dave. Yes, I know about the mites being all over the world. They also exist on many outdoor plants. If you do not mind having mites in your home then by all means keep them. I do NOT wnat them any where in my home and I can live with out them thank you.

Myself I do shower daily and I do not have any mites on my body what so ever but I have read that that 1 out of 6 people do in fact carry some type of infesting mite on their body. Most are in the hair on the body which have been called lice. Some are called crabs and scabies depending on the type of body area with the infestation. Fortunitely I have never had any in my life thus far and I do not need or want any in the present or in the future.

I have completely removed my Blaberus colony and so it is now no longer an issue.

I might look for a different tropical species of roach that does NOT climb glass and one that leaves behind the ootheca so I can attempt my idea of looking at each ootheca under powerfull magnification and then transfering it to a clean non mite infested cage.

FORMERALY A

Posted by starflyre on 1/8/2007, 1:48 am, in reply to "Re: MITES"

I just got a pair of adult hissers and the male seems to have pinkish looking mites. I can see them very easily. Are these harmful? They are round a have spread to the female. They are on a vermiculite and potting soil substrate. I have only seen the on the animals not the glass or substrate.

thanks for your input,

starflyre@yahoo.com