Should Barriers (vaseline) Be Thick or Thin?

What it says on the tin. :)

Just set up my 6 qt for my new Paratemnopteryx couloniana and I know the adults climb, so I got a tub of petroleum jelly from the store to help with that. I have it applied to the top 2" or so of the enclosure, and while it squeezed through the ittle vent holes ill just go around and clean those with a tooth pick. My only question is, does it need to be applied in a thin layer or a thick one? I can see potential issues with either method, but I'm having trouble finding answers. I won't move them in until I know for sure, so an answer/example of experience would be very helpful. Thanks guys!

I think a thin layer is better, if it's too thick they may be able to climb up it better, their feet will get stuck in the Vaseline a bit so they can slowly trudge their way upwards. 

Okay! That's what I figured. I am already trying to figure out a better solution though because right away a very cocky little nymph managed to climb (and I thought nymphs couldnt climb like that??) up to the lip of the enclosure when I was sorting them out! My theory is it found a patch where it could get enough grip on the vaseline and managed to climb up. Little bugger haha. I'm just glad it didn't bolt when I saw it, at least it just dooted back into the enclosure like it did nothing wrong. I made the barrier a little thicker after that, and I watched 4 adults test it and they all slipped around and gave up but I'm getting concerned. Until I get home from work I at least put plastic wrap over the top of the enclosure and the lid over that so even if they try they can't manage it but it's not an ideal solution.

I'm actually going to read up more on teflon tape and other better solutions in the long run. And at least for now this is fine enough, and if/when I do change it at least it was just a "waste" of $1 for the tub. c:

I don't use Vaseline in any of my hissers cages or other climbing species, I keep them in escape proof cages and allow them to climb on the lid, it can get a little anoying with larger collonies, but imho vasaline is more anoying 

I've been doing more research and watching my roaches and honestly I'm thinking of getting one of these: http://www.shopirisusa.com/weathertight-storage-box-19-qt-ucb-ss

I have a much larger iris weathertight for my reptile/invert supplies and I'm in love. It's like a gasket box, with a super thick foam seal, loads of really strong latches, and the plastic is really strong and thick. They're super durable, I love mine. I just never thought about them for these guys, especially since it's much bigger than what I planned for them initially, but you know what...it's the best option for preventing escapes, the added height just means more cork for climbing which they all seem to love, and more space. They'll certainly use every inch of it, I know that much already. Sure it's not exactly what I wanted to do...but I think it'll be best for everyone. c:

I will probably still get some kind of a barrier to help with adults trying to get out while it's open though. Just some peace of mind, I really don't want to take chances. I don't want to use vaseline anymore but I'm not sure of the success of teflon (the thick, proper tape I mean) or any other alternatives.

Then again I don't know, maybe I'm overthinking it. c:>

I'm so excited actually, I'll likely pick up two...I can upgrade my rothi into one as well, and even though they obviously don't climb and can't escape, the sturdiness is some comfort, especially because when i go back to college (once finances and health are better) rhey do get moved around a lot (from there to home or my partners college or house or on the train/car...) it might be a good idea. Sure, for a very large collection of inverts this might not be the best idea, but for my limited collection where I can afford to take these measures. c:

As well it's easier to explain to other non-roach-lovers they're totally safe and not harmful and can't escape/infest when it looks like they're under lock and key, ha!

I use gasket containers like that for my hissers, but I get mine from target and so do a lot of keepers I beleave.

On 8/30/2017 at 10:11 PM, Redmont said:

I don't use Vaseline in any of my hissers cages or other climbing species, I keep them in escape proof cages and allow them to climb on the lid, it can get a little anoying with larger collonies, but imho vasaline is more anoying 

Yeah, I don't use Vaseline or any sort of barriers like that anymore, I'd rather deal with skittish climbing roaches than that stuff, it's so messy, and can become a fungus gnat graveyard. 

• Like 1