Hormetica strumosa

wizentrop

EDIT, Nov 2019: In light of new information, this species is NOT Hormetica apolinari, but Hormetica strumosa.

A little less-showy than their relatives, Lucihormetica, these are a new addition to the hobby. What they lack in glowspots they make up for in size, robustness, the presence of prominent horns in males, and behavior. They are also quite prolific. Hands down one of the most rewarding species to keep.

Hormetica-apolinari.jpg

• Like 9

Very neat, do you have any for sale or trade? I may be willing to buy some or trade anything in my for sale add. @wizentrop

Awesome, if you want to trade or do a partial trade as well let me know. I know roach crossing has some avalable for a high price. But I can't even get him to respond to several messages that I sent a month ago, I know he is moving but his costumer service is absolutely horrible ( at least responding to messages) not to be rude but I think his site is a absolute joke some of his species are way over priced and me as well as others can hardly get him to respond. I even had someone ask me if he was still in business. 

Im actually planning on launching a website next summer or fall so I'm investing in tons of stock as of now

19 minutes ago, Redmont said:

Awesome, if you want to trade or do a partial trade as well let me know. I know roach crossing has some avalable for a high price. But I can't even get him to respond to several messages that I sent a month ago, I know he is moving but his costumer service is absolutely horrible ( at least responding to messages) not to be rude but I think his site is a absolute joke some of his species are way over priced and me as well as others can hardly get him to respond. I even had someone ask me if he was still in business. 

Im actually planning on launching a website next summer or fall so I'm investing in tons of stock as of now

Actually, no one else besides Gil here has this species, Kyle from roachcrossing has Lucihormetica, not any of the Hormetica species.

22 minutes ago, Redmont said:

Also, Kyle's prices actually aren't that bad, most of the outrageously expensive species are often offered by other breeders behind a "Available for trade with rarer species only" wall, at least Kyle gives you the option to use cash. Plus you have to take into account the time and effort given into both acquiring and breeding said species in the first place, sometimes it can be very hard to get new species into the US.

• Like 1

He does nave some decent prices. But I've seen some high priced species go very cheep on hear. If he made his website like everyone else where you can just place a order he would have better business, I know it can cost more but I probably would of placed at least 8 orders from him sence I was in the hobby but instead I've given him no money at all because I can't even contact him.

i was under the impression that these were Mega glow spot roaches is that correct or is there a new species in the hobby?

Awesome, is there a comon name for these? if not I would think it right that you would get to pick the common name for establishing these in the hobby

10 minutes ago, Redmont said:

He does nave some decent prices. But I've seen some high priced species go very cheep on hear. If he made his website like everyone else where you can just place a order he would have better business, I know it can cost more but I probably would of placed at least 8 orders from him sence I was in the hobby but instead I've given him no money at all because I can't even contact him.

i was under the impression that these were Mega glow spot roaches is that correct or is there a new species in the hobby?

These are Hormetica apolinariLucihormetica grossei, the "Mega Glowpsots" do look rather similar, but those have glowspots on the pronotum, which Hormetica lack.

The genus Lucihormetica was created for species originally described and placed in the genus Hormetica that have the "glowspots" on their pronotum. So there are no actual "glowspot" roaches within the genus Hormetica anymore.

By the small horns they have and their size these look they are a poor mans rhino roach

1 minute ago, wizentrop said:

@Redmont Nah, why take all the fun to myself. The good people here will come up with a good common name. As long as it is not "Glowspot-less Roach" I will be fine with it.

How about "Winged hisserless roaches"? :P

• Like 1

Possible names, lesser glowspot (somewhat close to what you don't want lol) and rhino glowspot

Just saw your post lol

2 minutes ago, Redmont said:

Possible names, lesser glowspot (somewhat close to what you don't want lol) and rhino glowspot

Wouldn't make sense to even use the term "glowspot" really, that's for a different genus. We should create a name for the genus as a whole, and then make a more specific name for this species.

3 minutes ago, wizentrop said:

@Redmont hahaha
I feel that it would benefit from mentioning the male's horns, after all this is what the genus Hormetica is named after.

Horned _________ roach I agree, just need to fill in the blank. Those are nice.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Matttoadman said:

Horned _________ roach I agree, just need to fill in the blank. Those are nice.

@wizentrop is this species named after someone called Apolinar? Seems like it is to me, but I don't know if Apolinari actually has a meaning itself I don't know about.

If it is named after someone, it could be called "Apolinar's horned roach", or something like that. :)