Hormetica strumosa

wizentrop

5 minutes ago, Matttoadman said:

If you google apolinar you get a Spanish/ Portuguese derivation of the Greek name apollo

Ah OK, see I just tried putting "apolinari" through google translate and nothing came up. :lol:

So "Apollo's horned roach" then? Has a nice ring to it, sort of a majestic common name. :D

See, if I google "apolinari", the first thing that comes up is "Apolinar's Wren", Cistothorus apolinari. According to Wikipedia: The common name and scientific name commemorate the Colombian monk Brother Apolinar Maria (1877-1949) who was also an ornithologist.

So maybe Hormetica apolinari is also named after this monk? I'm probably way off, but hey, it's just a theory!

Rhino monk roach or my favorite redmonts rhino roach :P

5 minutes ago, wizentrop said:

@Hisserdude I just checked Morgan Hebard's original description of H. apolinari from 1919, there is no explanation given for the species name (and that is a bit unusual)

Hmm, that's weird, guess all we can do at this point is speculate.

3 minutes ago, Redmont said:

Rhino monk roach or my favorite redmonts rhino roach :P

But "rhino roach" is the term used for species in the genus Macropanesthia! :lol: I think a lot of people would get really confused if another species with a common name containing the word "rhino" entered the hobby. 

• Like 1

I'll sleep on it, in the morning I should have a totally awesome name for the species, that will blow your minds :P

13 hours ago, Cariblatta lutea said:

Maybe Apolinar's false glowspot roach?

Should "false glowspot roach" really be the term for this genus? To me, it almost makes it sound like this genus came after Lucihormetica, whilst the truth is the genus Lucihormetica came after Hormetica did. IDK, that's just my opinion, but I guess false glowspot roach does come off the tongue rather nicely, and honestly, I can't think of any other unique name for the genus. Thing is, what are we gonna do if/when Parahormetica enters the hobby? :lol:

5 minutes ago, Cariblatta lutea said:

Call them toad roaches. LOL

But that's what Bionoblatta should be called, since they supposedly mimic toads! :lol: (they also highly resemble Hormetica appearance wise!). 

1 hour ago, wizentrop said:

A photo to give some sense of scale. As you can see they are pretty massive. I'm a guy in his mid-30's, so my hand isn't exactly small.
You can see a female in the back.

Hormetica-apolinari.jpg

Nice, they look like they are about as big as grossei, maybe bigger! God are they beautiful!