Hormetica strumosa

wizentrop

I agree they look awesome, I don't know if you've bean following my thread on a few new species of roaches I'm getting in the hobby @wizentrop but I'd be willing to trade some for these guys, but I think your in Canada right? I need to update the thread with pics once I get a few species in.  

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
6 hours ago, Auz said:

These are gorgeous! Just curious how they're doing in the hobby now that this thread is a year and a half old?

I believe almost everyone who got them from Gil has bred them successfully, but seeing as they are such slow breeders and growers, it'll be a while until they are readily available here. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Hisserdude said:

I believe almost everyone who got them from Gil has bred them successfully, but seeing as they are such slow breeders and growers, it'll be a while until they are readily available here. 

Ah, okay. I couldn't find much info on them so I wasn't sure about how long they'd take to reach maturity, breed, etc. Looking forward to them being available again :) 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Auz said:

Ah, okay. I couldn't find much info on them so I wasn't sure about how long they'd take to reach maturity, breed, etc. Looking forward to them being available again :) 

Yeah, they are very slow breeding, and I think they take around a year to mature... Definitely one of the prettiest roaches to enter the US hobby in the past few years, really hope they become more widespread in the hobby soon... 

28 minutes ago, Hisserdude said:

Yeah, they are very slow breeding, and I think they take around a year to mature... Definitely one of the prettiest roaches to enter the US hobby in the past few years, really hope they become more widespread in the hobby soon... 

You and me both! Their coloring and horns are just so unique. I hope more general info/pics of them come out. I'm bummed they're not in For The Love of Cockroaches 😢 haha

1 hour ago, Auz said:

You and me both! Their coloring and horns are just so unique. I hope more general info/pics of them come out. I'm bummed they're not in For The Love of Cockroaches 😢 haha

Exactly! And alas, they weren't even in the hobby when FTLOC came out LOL! 

On 7/7/2019 at 12:23 AM, Auz said:

hahah yeah! maybe one day FTLOC can get a second edition :lol:

Who knows, there's been three editions of "For the Love of Rhinoceros and Stag Beetles! 😄

• 2 months later...

How's it looking for this species in the hobby? I love Lucihormetica, keep all 3 species currently in the hobby, and Hormetica seem like a perfect addition... once they're in Europe and established enough that the price won't tear my leg off that is, lol. 

9 hours ago, Ghoul said:

How's it looking for this species in the hobby? I love Lucihormetica, keep all 3 species currently in the hobby, and Hormetica seem like a perfect addition... once they're in Europe and established enough that the price won't tear my leg off that is, lol. 

I know of only 3 people that have them, including myself. The others being @Bmaines96 and @Cariblatta lutea. I have not gotten my female to drop any babies yet, but I know they have; hopefully their colonies are still doing well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, All About Arthropods said:

I know of only 3 people that have them, including myself. The others being @Bmaines96 and @Cariblatta lutea. I have not gotten my female to drop any babies yet, but I know they have; hopefully their colonies are still doing well.

@Bmaines96 is unsure about the state of his colony ATM, (though hopefully they're doing well), does @Cariblatta lutea still have his, or did he send them to Kyle? If it's the latter then you and Brandon are probably the last people keeping them in the US... 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hisserdude said:

@Bmaines96 is unsure about the state of his colony ATM, (though hopefully they're doing well), does @Cariblatta lutea still have his, or did he send them to Kyle? If it's the latter then you and Brandon are probably the last people keeping them in the US... 

I still have mine. I saw at least 2 dozen nymphs ranging from 2nd instar to 4th so they are doing well :)

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Cariblatta lutea said:

I still have mine. I saw at least 2 dozen nymphs ranging from 2nd instar to 4th so they are doing well :)

Yeeeessss.

18 hours ago, Cariblatta lutea said:

Woo-hoo, that's amazing to hear! 😁

• 5 weeks later...

I guess I should update this thread.
After some discussions with @Hisserdude, and in light of a new scientific paper, it appears that this species is NOT Hormetica apolinari, but Hormetica strumosa.
I am not afraid to admit when I am wrong when there is enough evidence :) so I will change all me labels from now on, and you should do the same.
Unfortunately I cannot edit the thread's title.. but I will put a notice in the opening post.

• Like 1