smell of the feeder roaches

TiercelR

Hi all, i have three roach colonies, one is of hissers, other is of lobsters, and the last is of red runners. I have noticed that the colonies of hissers and lobsters don´t have a particular smell, but the red runners colony (turkistan roaches) do have a particular pungent smell.

Also i am interested in to purchase soon a colony of dubia roaches. my question is: the dubia roaches do have a particular smell too? or they don´t have it? thanks, regards, Roberto.

• Like 1

I thought the red runner was supposed to be a good replacement for smelly crickets?

Roachcrossing guide says that overcrowding and overfeeding are two of the many smell-producing causes. Superworms also have a bad smell sometimes, but I strongly suspect that  this is because dead bodies were not removed. When I kept superworm darklings as pets, there was never any foul odor from the cages.

Try feeding less and put some clean up crews in and possibly lower the humidity or pick up dead roaches more often 

I have noticed roaches kept on egg cartons smell. My assumption is the carton absorb odors and such. My pantanals kept on wood, bark and coconut fiber do not. I have also noted the roaches that are kept dry smell more than those species that are kept humid. However I have not had many species to see if this holds true or if it's my keeping styles.

• Like 1