5 new roach species in the US hobby!

Redmont

Bugs in syberspace sells rhino beetle soil That would be good for these guys, I don't know if they require whole logs or not and I think they like lower temps, I'll definitely get these species to other roach collectors so if my colony collapses someone else will have them 

11 minutes ago, Redmont said:

Bugs in syberspace sells rhino beetle soil That would be good for these guys, I don't know if they require whole logs or not and I think they like lower temps, I'll definitely get these species to other roach collectors so if my colony collapses someone else will have them 

The P. angustipennis don't seem to require whole logs, but from what I hear, they do require rotten wood. I asked one of the people who keeps them what his substrate mix was and he said it was an even ratio of milled rotten wood and dead leaves. Although.....I'm not sure if anyone has tried without rotten wood so they vary well may not require it.

Rotten wood definitely seems to be a requirement in the diet of Panesthia, and dead leaves are good too. From what I've heard, some species will refuse to eat anything else besides wood or leaves! Whole logs are not needed, so if I could get my dang sawdust to ferment, I'd be set! They do definitely like cooler temperatures, kind of like Crypotocercus, but they are not quite as sensitive as those thankfully.

Do you know what temps Corydidarum like? 

31 minutes ago, All About Insects said:

Does this need to be manually removed to stop the problem? Might a combo of cleanup crews or a bunch of ventilation + vertical refuges eliminate the problem?

Pretty much, since most cleanup crews besides tend to stress them out as well. :/ Even Kyle lost his Rhabdoblatta formosana culture, he had to trade with me to get some back, and right after that I almost lost my culture too, came down to a couple females out of 100+ individuals. It seems regular and aggressive culling may be needed to keep them happy, as it's their fast growth and breeding rates that create so much filth in the first place. 

These new species may not have this problem though, for example Opisthoplatia orientalis never seem to have this problem, and they are from the Epilamprinae. I'm just saying to watch out for culture crashes, just in case!

2 minutes ago, Redmont said:

Do you know what temps Corydidarum like? 

75F+ should be provided, otherwise they seldom gestate properly. 

1 minute ago, Matttoadman said:

I would love to see Symploce cavernicola in the hobby. I am fascinated with cave dwelling species.

Those would be neat, I have to work on importing these species over a couple of imports and then hopefully work on some other exotic roach species and maybe some exotic pill bugs or isopods 

It looks like I will be able to import some exotic katydids and grasshoppers some are very colorful 

• 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...

Yeah, where's my free culture of Pseudoglomeris beybienkoi? 😜 (Formerly known as Corydidarum sp. "Yunnan"). I hear they don't hold up that well when shipped in very humid conditions BTW... Definitely more finicky than P.magnifica

• 1 year later...
On 9/5/2017 at 4:52 PM, Redmont said:

Corydidarum sp. "Yunnun is one of the new species I'm importing, I will get you a starter culture of them once my colony establishes, you would be the 3rd person in the world to have them after me 

Are you planning on selling any of those? This thread is pretty old, but thought I would ask...

48 minutes ago, Joopes said:

Are you planning on selling any of those? This thread is pretty old, but thought I would ask...

I don't even think @Redmont is in the hobby anymore, nor did he ever import those roaches... :(

1 hour ago, Joopes said:

Scam?

No, because I don't think he ever took people's money without delivering the goods... He just preemptively said he was going to bring in these species before he actually tried bringing them in, and apparently somewhere along the line those plans fell apart. 

19 hours ago, Hisserdude said:

No, because I don't think he ever took people's money without delivering the goods... He just preemptively said he was going to bring in these species before he actually tried bringing them in, and apparently somewhere along the line those plans fell apart. 

Ah ok. As a wise person once told me, "Don't count your cocoons until they are spun."

• Like 1