Anadenobolus monilicornis enclosure size?

Matttoadman

I have about a dozen bumblebee millipedes coming soon. Do millipedes do better in a smaller or larger enclosure? I know some inverts do better crowded some need space. I currently have an empty 2.5 gallon and a 5.5 gallon to choose from.

• Like 1

I don't think you'll have any issues with these guys in either setup. The only downside to smaller setups with millis is that they can process the substrate much more quickly, so usually bigger is better to cut back on how often you need to change substrate. These guys are very small though, and a 2.5 gallon is plenty big enough for a dozen but the 5.5 wouldn't hurt either. I have a volunteer colony living in a houseplant's pot that I got from Home Depot, every time I soak the plant I find more Bumbleebee mills. They're neat little guys!

Yeah, first one I found was dried up on the floor and I had no clue where it came from. Then after giving the plant a good soak, about 5 adults surfaced to escape the water. Somehow now a few weeks later, this still happens but now only with a couple more. They're an awesome milli, very colorful and super easy. I just threw mine in a deli cup and they haven't gotten the attention they deserve, and yet they are still thriving and even reproducing.

36474584394_82a16c15af_z.jpg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Matttoadman said:

Yes they are very cool. I hope I get to see them every so often.

Yours have nice full yellow banding. Good luck with them! If you put a piece of fruit in there every once and a while you'll see them on it. They're pretty shy to light though like some other millis.

• Like 1

wow what little Houdinis. Turn out the lights and the little escape artists went to work. Apparently crawling up the glued corners of the tank, across the lip of the edge and stretch over to the vent holes drilled in the glass cover. Good thing I randomly got up at 2:00 to see if I could see them. Hopefully I found them all. I have a date with window screen and hot glue when I get home.

• Like 1

I did notice that mine do all seem to have complete yellow bands. I thought at first this was just do to them being immature but now i think they probably are full grown. Very interesting.

Did you get these on Ovogram by any chance? I also have some on the way.

Just how big are these guys as adults? I've read conflicting reports, from 2 inches or less to 4 inches. (which I believe to be untrue, there's no photos of any nearly that large.)

On 9/21/2017 at 9:12 PM, Salmonsaladsandwich said:

Did you get these on Ovogram by any chance? I also have some on the way.

Just how big are these guys as adults? I've read conflicting reports, from 2 inches or less to 4 inches. (which I believe to be untrue, there's no photos of any nearly that large.)

I got these from a seller on eBay. I'd say around three inches long. They are very narrow. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Matttoadman said:

I got these from a seller on eBay. I'd say around three inches long. They are very narrow. 

Mine arrived today. The person said they would send a "good mix of sizes", but there doesn't seem to be any longer than two inches. They're all quite tiny compared to be Narceus.

1 hour ago, Matttoadman said:

Well taking in mind I've never seen any millipedes in person other than our local flat species, I was suprised how small. What kind of yellow banding do yours have.

Pretty similar to the picture CodeWilster posted.

I wonder if they can be selectively bred for stronger striping?

I got some more in the mail today to fulfill my original order. A few of them stouter than the first. Some of them have the thinner fainter bands. Also got two of these guys. Trigoniulus corallinus?

IMG_4949.PNG

• Like 1