Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TiercelR

cat food or dog food or chicken food or fish food?

11 posts in this topic

Hi, which food is better for the roaches? cat food pellets or dog food pellets or chicken food pellets or fish food pellets? i do feed my roaches with dog food pellets, fruit and veggies,, but i don´t know if the dog food pellets are the best for my roaches. Thanks.

I've fed my roaches cat food, then dog food, and now chick feed. They all seem to work just as well as each other, I've noticed no difference between them. 

In my opinion roach chow is the best way to go i manly put oats, cereal, fish food and bee pollen in my roach chow, that way you can control what Is going in there diet, and it is much healthier, especially if you feed reptiles I would strongly recommend during roach chow, I could even make some up and sell some to you, cape cod roaches sells it as well.

I’ll list off the dry foods you mentioned from worst to best

cat food, dog food, chick feed and fish food

Which type is best depends strongly on what roaches you're feeding, as well as the brand of the food itself. How much filler is in the food, what ratio of protein to carbohydrates it has, and how fast it molds can all make a difference. 

Roaches that are not used for food could be given poorer diets but I strive to take the best care of all of my animals, I still don’t think anyone can argue that any other dry food is better than roach chow, even the best high quality dog food will have  preservatives and some fillers in it, but that’s just my opinion, but I’m willing to challenge anyone who disagrees with me :P  

Hisserdude, Redmont, and Betta132, thanks for your replies, regards.

1 person likes this

I don't think it matters much for roaches. I use fish food flakes as they eat it relatively fast so no leftovers remain. This to avoid getting a mite explosion. 
I don't feed cereals and oats due to the tendency to attract mites. 
Dried oaks leaves and partly rotten oaks leaves (sterilized) are available to the roaches all the time. Every weeks some carrots or apple pieces. That's all I feed them. 
And as Betta132 mentioned: the amount of filler is important. I carefully look at fish foods and compare them to see which contain most proteins. There is a big difference between brands. I assume it's the same for dog and cat food. 

stanislas, thanks for your reply, regards.

As with all living creatures, a varied diet is healthiest. 

Stay away from Layer's mash (for Poultry birds) as there is such a high level of calcium it can cause moulting difficulty due to the shell being overdeveloped. 

All the best from Bill. :D

Bufo Bill, thanks for your reply. Regards.

Anyone heard about using pig chow for the roach chow base?  I picked up some dubias from a friend and he uses a 50lb bag of pig pellets mixed with a little bit of Repashy food, I think it was 1tbsp crested gecko MRP per pound of pig chow.  He gave me some and they go absolutely nuts over it, eating it faster than I ever seen them eat anything.  I am looking at Family Farm Pig 14 (what they sell near me), looks like lots of good stuff in it (grains, molasses, alfalfa, lots of vitamins), but one thing that I find odd is it says it has extra copper.  Its cheap at $16 for 50lbs.  Anyone be worried about the extra copper?