To have roaches for the roaches themselves?

TiercelR

Hi, to have roaches for the roaches themselves? i mean not only to have them lonely as live food, but yes as true pets themselves. I mean for love to the roaches. Thanks.

I'm sure most on this forum do. I got my first ones for feeders but now I think them more than the frogs I was feeding. I only use some as feeders to keep the population under control.

I think there are more pet species of roaches than feeders, many people like to keep them as pets including me:D

I've only ever had roaches as pets (three hisser species - E. javanica, G. portentosa, and another Gromphadorhina species which looks most like oblongonota but is probably some sort of hybrid as they weren't sold to me as a pure species). I just couldn't bear the thought of feeding them to another creature, I find them far too cute! :)

I'm only using one of my 30+ species as feeders at the moment. ;) There's no doubt, there are WAY more species in this hobby for the roach enthusiast than there are for the person only interested in breeding feeders.

I started with two female hissers as pets. I liked them enough to get two more. I moved them out of a critter keeper and into a glass "display" tank (they rarely come out of hiding, though). One of my first two gave birth a few weeks ago, and after downsizing the number of nymphs, I have a total of nine adorable cockroaches. I refer to them as my babies and my babies' babies! There are even more on the way. I saw mama roach making an ootheca last night. I'm not sure how I feel about the idea of more nymphs, but I have some time to figure out what I'll do.

Certainly, I was completely caught off guard by my Periplaneta americana colony, their general activity level, and the fact they got used to being active during daytime made them fun to watch, I liked them more than the scorpion I never saw lol.

I imagine a small red runner colony would be just as amusing, give the roaches bridges to crossed and make the hiding places in such a way that they can crawl in and out of them. It's really fun to watch them just moving through them.

Matttoadman, Redmont, Hisserdude, BlattaAnglicana, All About Insects, Friday and Tleilaxu.  Many thanks for your replies. Regards.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Was browsing Craig'sList for glass tanks when I came upon an ad from my neighbour, and found out he was offering hissers for sale.  Forgot all about the tanks and jumped on that immediately.  They were sort-of acquired as feeders for some toads I don't yet have, but might get someday. 

Dang, they are huge.  Looks like Jurassic Park in that tub.  If I were going to feed off any of the adults, I'd need an ostrich.  No babies yet.  I guess they count as pets until I end up with too many.