Lanxoblatta rudis

wizentrop

18 minutes ago, wizentrop said:

So... no one wants to have a go at assigning a common name for this species?

I was thinking about it, maybe "Flat Bark Cockroach"? Or "Ecuadorian Flat Bark Cockroach"? Sure those could be used for any number of Lanxoblatta species or related genera, but whatever! :P 

1 hour ago, Hisserdude said:

I was thinking about it, maybe "Flat Bark Cockroach"? Or "Ecuadorian Flat Bark Cockroach"? Sure those could be used for any number of Lanxoblatta species or related genera, but whatever! :P 

Dang, I was actually going to say "Flat-backed Bark Roach"! LOL

• Like 1

17 hours ago, All About Insects said:

Dang, I was actually going to say "Flat-backed Bark Roach"! LOL

That's a good one! :D But, the whole body is flat, not just the back, so "Flat bodied bark roach" would make more sense, or just flat bark roach for short.

17 hours ago, Psydeus565 said:

I was thinking more along the line of what it resembles... The scale roach

The nymphs do look like scale insects, that is true... 

Flat backed bark roach is to hard to say lol. I like flat bark cockroach, nice and simple 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, wizentrop said:

I think people here like the scale photos I provide, so here is a freshly molted adult pair. Male is on the right, female on the left. Too bad they do not keep these fiery colors, I really love this look.

Wow, they look really nice like that, too bad they don't retain those colors! :o They remind me of adult male Neolaxta triangulifera.

Nice shot of the nymph too, shows just how flat they are!

35 minutes ago, Tleilaxu said:

Pancake Roach. I win, thanks for playing. :D

Well we've already got the "Pancake Hissers", or "Flat-horned hissers" as most people call them, Aeluropoda insignis. :D

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/28/2017 at 3:50 PM, wizentrop said:

I will even go one step further and say that a flat wood board (like MDF)

Doesn't MDF have termite repelling properties to it? I'd assume that makes it a big no no for roaches. Unless you specifically get formaldehyde-free MDF?

EDIT: Yeah, from what I've read, most MDF is made with UF, (urea and formaldehyde), and MDF made with UF can emit formaldehyde gas for months or years after it is manufactured... so you'd need to specifically get formaldehyde-free MDF for use with bugs then. 

Will look into getting some of that then, since it seems most of the bark I have is too rough for these guys, I only have one or two really smooth pieces that they'll rest on.

2 hours ago, Hisserdude said:

Will look into getting some of that then, since it seems most of the bark I have is too rough for these guys, I only have one or two really smooth pieces that they'll rest on.

Same problem I'm having here, I can't find any smooth bark that wouldn't require a hard sand papering. Do you know if unseasoned plywood has any chemicals that would kill or otherwise harm inverts? If not, that would definitely be a nice substitute. :) 

1 hour ago, All About Insects said:

Same problem I'm having here, I can't find any smooth bark that wouldn't require a hard sand papering. Do you know if unseasoned plywood has any chemicals that would kill or otherwise harm inverts? If not, that would definitely be a nice substitute. :) 

IDK about unseasoned plywood, but "PureBond" brand plywood uses a soy based alternative to toxic formaldehyde based resins, so it should be safe to use with bugs. :) I don't know if it would make a suitable substitute for bark though, some experimentation may be needed...

8 hours ago, Hisserdude said:

IDK about unseasoned plywood, but "PureBond" brand plywood uses a soy based alternative to toxic formaldehyde based resins, so it should be safe to use with bugs. :) I don't know if it would make a suitable substitute for bark though, some experimentation may be needed...

AWESOME, I'll try to look for some at one of my local hardware stores then. :) Eh, I assume it would, definitely has a very similar texture compared to my sanded bark pieces. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, wizentrop said:

They will use cardboard too, the problem is that it absorbs water very quickly and also molds.
Beech or birch bark worked best for my li'l guys.

Good to know, I've thrown some carboard slabs in their enclosure to give them more hiding spaces, even if it is just temporary. 

With springtails, I don't usually have problems with cardboard molding, it's the warping from the moisture I'm afraid of, probably will make it unusable to them after a couple weeks or so. 

Wish I didn't live in a freaking scrubland, with very few trees of any kind except for conifers around... -_-:rolleyes:

16 hours ago, All About Insects said:

AWESOME, I'll try to look for some at one of my local hardware stores then. :) Eh, I assume it would, definitely has a very similar texture compared to my sanded bark pieces. 

Good luck, hope you can find some, and I hope it'll work for you! :)

Would flat slabs of cork work for this species?  Not the prettiest item for cage furniture but it is flat, smooth and easy to find locally or online.

Available in various thicknesses:  https://www.amazon.com/Cork-Sheet-Plain-24-thick/dp/B001ACIGO4?th=1

• Like 1

@Hisserdude I am sure I don't have to tell you this, but don't even consider using bark from those conifers. All roaches will consume some fibers off bark, Lanxoblatta no exception. Conifer bark may contain some toxic compounds.
Anyway, with cardboard the main problem is that you have to change it every couple of weeks. It is possible if you are attentive to your collection, but it will cause some stress for your roaches.