Lanxoblatta rudis

wizentrop

8 minutes ago, wizentrop said:

@Hisserdude I am sure I don't have to tell you this, but don't even consider using bark from those conifers. All roaches will consume some fibers off bark, Lanxoblatta no exception. Conifer bark may contain some toxic compounds.
Anyway, with cardboard the main problem is that you have to change it every couple of weeks. It is possible if you are attentive to your collection, but it will cause some stress for your roaches.

Oh yeah, I'd never use any conifer bark, wood, or needles in any of my setups, that stuff is like nature's insecticide! 

Well I'm going out shopping today, gonna try and find some more suitable hides for them, the cardboard thing is just temporary. :)

1 minute ago, wizentrop said:

@Tleilaxu This will work well for many roach species. The only issue is that you do not have a way to view and monitor your roaches.

I figured as such but given this particular species seeming need for vertical space it seemed like a good suggestion for an intermediate roach that may or may not need more privacy than most, and thus the benefit would outweigh the draw backs.

You can always of course stake them out using red light to see if they are eating and healthy.

Ugh, couldn't find any good wood today at my local stores, (though I did find a nice tall cage with an airtight lid!), I'm just gonna put up an ad asking for large slabs of beech or birch bark on Facebook, I've seen a few people selling various bark types on the roach and isopod groups there. I should have done that BEFORE I had the roaches, but I assumed most of the bark I already had was smooth enough. :/

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/2/2017 at 3:33 AM, Hisserdude said:

Ugh, couldn't find any good wood today at my local stores, (though I did find a nice tall cage with an airtight lid!), I'm just gonna put up an ad asking for large slabs of beech or birch bark on Facebook, I've seen a few people selling various bark types on the roach and isopod groups there. I should have done that BEFORE I had the roaches, but I assumed most of the bark I already had was smooth enough. :/

Did you check out this source for flat bark?

https://www.thebiodude.com/products/southern-palm-bark-2-qt

I wonder if you can specify a length of palm bark for purchase?

2 hours ago, dactylus said:

Did you check out this source for flat bark?

https://www.thebiodude.com/products/southern-palm-bark-2-qt

I wonder if you can specify a length of palm bark for purchase?

It doesn't look like a suitable material for this guys, in the description it says the bark is "stringy and fibrous", I don't think that'll fly with Lanxoblatta. Plus they are selling it in prepackaged bundles, not sure if you can specify size. It'll be easier for me to just put up a want ad for proper bark on FB, I just need to get some money first...

Thanks for the suggestion though, I appreciate it! :)

21 hours ago, Hisserdude said:

It doesn't look like a suitable material for this guys, in the description it says the bark is "stringy and fibrous", I don't think that'll fly with Lanxoblatta. Plus they are selling it in prepackaged bundles, not sure if you can specify size. It'll be easier for me to just put up a want ad for proper bark on FB, I just need to get some money first...

Thanks for the suggestion though, I appreciate it! :)

I saw the same thing that you mentioned, "the description says that the bark is "stringy and fibrous".  In looking at the bark in that package I think that the "stringy and fibrous" comment refers more to the underside of those bark pieces.  I think that the exterior surface of that bark is fairly smooth.  I could be wrong.    I'll check into that and let you know what I find out.  Lanxoblatta rudis has jumped to the top of my roach want list for Spring 2018, once the weather warms up in Minnesota again...  :)

3 hours ago, dactylus said:

I saw the same thing that you mentioned, "the description says that the bark is "stringy and fibrous".  In looking at the bark in that package I think that the "stringy and fibrous" comment refers more to the underside of those bark pieces.  I think that the exterior surface of that bark is fairly smooth.  I could be wrong.    I'll check into that and let you know what I find out.  Lanxoblatta rudis has jumped to the top of my roach want list for Spring 2018, once the weather warms up in Minnesota again...  :)

Yeah, but they like hanging out on the underside of bark the best, and both sides should be as smooth as possible if you are going to stack them up against each other, the way that Lanxoblatta like it. It could work though, I'd just have to see some in person to be sure.

• 3 weeks later...
On 29.09.2017 at 1:50 AM, wizentrop said:

I mentioned they feed on moss and fungi but it would be difficult to replicate this diet in captivity. They do well on a fruit diet, I did not notice any issues. In fact, the F1 roaches are way bigger than the wild ones I originally collected, I see this as a good sign that there is no nutritional deficiency.

With some arboreal millipedes and woodlice I've used pieces of dead twigs covered with epyphytes - mosses, lichens, fungi etc., and it worked very well.

The trickiest moment is the very beginning, when WC animals try to eat and digest completely new food - they're, AFAIU, anyway symbiotrophic, and their endosymbionts may be either damaged by transportation or have problems with these new materials...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 years later...
5 hours ago, Bhjjr said:

Love it!!! Great photos of an amazing roach. 4 years later are these still around?

I know of two people with them in the US, that's it... A couple people in Europe and Asia might have colonies as well.

• Like 1