Sign in to follow this  
Hisserdude

Hormetica apolinari (Apolinar's Horned Roach?)

Just received 6 nymphs in the mail today from @wizentrop, they are so neat looking, and bigger than I thought they would be! :D Let's hope they'll do well for me!

Here are some pictures of a nymph:

Hormeticaapolinari%25231.JPG

Hormeticaapolinari%25232.JPG

Hormeticaapolinari%25233.JPG

Hormeticaapolinari%25234.JPG

So cute right!? :wub:

• Like 3

Very nice. I use that common name as well. that’s the common name I’m going to sell under whether anyone likes it or not:P

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Redmont said:

Very nice. I use that common name as well. that’s the common name I’m going to sell under whether anyone likes it or not:P

Haha cool, I don't know if it'll stick or not, but it's the name I'm using for the time being! (Until someone comes up with something better). :P

I am a novice and if there is only a Latin name I skip a ad.. Comon names help so much to home in on what I am looking for.. More hissers or so many cool ones ..need more space

6 hours ago, talace said:

I am a novice and if there is only a Latin name I skip a ad.. Comon names help so much to home in on what I am looking for.. More hissers or so many cool ones ..need more space

Haha, for me it's the opposite, I much prefer Latin names to common ones, since many common names can be applied to several different species, makes things so confusing... :blink:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Hisserdude said:

Haha, for me it's the opposite, I much prefer Latin names to common ones, since many common names can be applied to several different species, makes things so confusing... :blink:

^

I am 100% in agreement with you on the Latin names.  The same common names can and have been applied to several different species and they are not as specific as the scientific name.  The more that you know about the specific animals that you're keeping the better off you and the animal are.  Just my opinion.

• Like 1

My nymphs are growing, slowly but surely! :) My largest nymph, (a female), molted somewhat recently, and she's now a beautiful black color, instead of the maroon coloration the smaller nymphs have:

Hormetica%252310.JPG

Hormetica%252311.JPG

Hormetica%252312.JPG

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dactylus said:

Looking good!!

Thanks, she definitely is! :)

My males have started maturing, and they are freaking beautiful! :wub: Unfortunately due to me keeping them in too small of an enclosure, they came out a bit small, I'll be rehousing my culture later tonight. 

Here are some pictures of them:

H.apolinariAdult%25231.JPG%5C

H.apolinariAdult%25232.JPG

H.apolinariAdult%25233.JPG

H.apolinariAdult%25234.JPG

Here you can see a size comparison between one of my male apolinari and my male L.grossei, the apolinari should be quite a bit larger:

H.apolinariXL.grossei%25232.JPG

H.apolinariXL.grossei%25233.JPG

Really can't wait until my females mature, hopefully I'll be able to breed them! :)

• Like 1