Hormetica strumosa (formerly ID'd as apolinari)

Hisserdude

Just received 6 nymphs in the mail today from @wizentrop, they are so neat looking, and bigger than I thought they would be! :D Let's hope they'll do well for me!

Here are some pictures of a nymph:

Hormeticaapolinari%25231.JPG

Hormeticaapolinari%25232.JPG

Hormeticaapolinari%25233.JPG

Hormeticaapolinari%25234.JPG

So cute right!? :wub:

• Like 4

Very nice. I use that common name as well. that’s the common name I’m going to sell under whether anyone likes it or not:P

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Redmont said:

Very nice. I use that common name as well. that’s the common name I’m going to sell under whether anyone likes it or not:P

Haha cool, I don't know if it'll stick or not, but it's the name I'm using for the time being! (Until someone comes up with something better). :P

6 hours ago, talace said:

I am a novice and if there is only a Latin name I skip a ad.. Comon names help so much to home in on what I am looking for.. More hissers or so many cool ones ..need more space

Haha, for me it's the opposite, I much prefer Latin names to common ones, since many common names can be applied to several different species, makes things so confusing... :blink:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Hisserdude said:

Haha, for me it's the opposite, I much prefer Latin names to common ones, since many common names can be applied to several different species, makes things so confusing... :blink:

^

I am 100% in agreement with you on the Latin names.  The same common names can and have been applied to several different species and they are not as specific as the scientific name.  The more that you know about the specific animals that you're keeping the better off you and the animal are.  Just my opinion.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

My nymphs are growing, slowly but surely! :) My largest nymph, (a female), molted somewhat recently, and she's now a beautiful black color, instead of the maroon coloration the smaller nymphs have:

Hormetica%252310.JPG

Hormetica%252311.JPG

Hormetica%252312.JPG

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

My males have started maturing, and they are freaking beautiful! :wub: Unfortunately due to me keeping them in too small of an enclosure, they came out a bit small, I'll be rehousing my culture later tonight. 

Here are some pictures of them:

H.apolinariAdult%25231.JPG%5C

H.apolinariAdult%25232.JPG

H.apolinariAdult%25233.JPG

H.apolinariAdult%25234.JPG

Here you can see a size comparison between one of my male apolinari and my male L.grossei, the apolinari should be quite a bit larger:

H.apolinariXL.grossei%25232.JPG

H.apolinariXL.grossei%25233.JPG

Really can't wait until my females mature, hopefully I'll be able to breed them! :)

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

Thanks @Cariblatta lutea for sending me two pairs of this species, have them set up in a bigger bin than last time, so maybe they'll come out normal sized this go around! 😂 Fingers crossed I can breed these beauties! :D

Hormeticastrumosa%25231.JPG

Hormeticastrumosa%25232.JPG

Hormeticastrumosa%25234.JPG

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 10/21/2017 at 10:31 PM, Hisserdude said:

Just received 6 nymphs in the mail today from @wizentrop, they are so neat looking, and bigger than I thought they would be! :D Let's hope they'll do well for me!

Here are some pictures of a nymph:

Hormeticaapolinari%25231.JPG

Hormeticaapolinari%25232.JPG

Hormeticaapolinari%25233.JPG

Hormeticaapolinari%25234.JPG

So cute right!? :wub:

Red Roaches are Beautiful. You have gorgeous roaches. 

• Like 1

On 8/12/2020 at 1:23 PM, Nadine83 said:

Red Roaches are Beautiful. You have gorgeous roaches. 

Thanks, they are quite stunning in person, the nymphs are reddish but not quite as red as my oversaturated pictures of them make them look. 😅

9 hours ago, Allpet Roaches said:

So how are they doing? Any extras?

Well I just reobtained this species a couple months ago, my starter group of nymphs hasn't matured yet, (apparently they may be near maturity though, as @Cariblatta lutea's have started maturing, and he's who I got mine off of). They take forever to gestate their broods though, so it'll be a long time until I have any available. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
59 minutes ago, Bhjjr said:

Do you have any tips for these guys? And can they climb?

I failed with mine, my adults just absolutely refused to breed no matter what I did. I'll be getting more from @Ty Randall soon, he's been one of the most successful breeders of them here in the states, you should ask him for care info.

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, Bhjjr said:

Hmm I just ordered some from him, should be arriving tomorrow. 🤔 

I just sent him a pm

A lot of people have trouble getting them to give birth for some reason, (and L.grossei too, though I at least have gotten those to give birth for me).

Ty was kind enough to let me post how he cares for these guys (and Panesthia augustipennis cognata).

"I treat them both almost the same

highly dependent on rotten wood. I give a 6" deep substrate kept wet comprised of mainly flake soil and rotten hardwood leaves. Also provided with tons of hardwood logs. They are particularly fond of apples and dog food, but are also offered a variety of other roach fares as well."

• Like 2

That's a very interesting observation. I have never added any wood or leaves to my colonies (H. strumosa and L. grossei) and mine are breeding fine. Actually I don't do anything special other than giving them deep substrate...

Panesthia, on the other hand, really need the wood.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, wizentrop said:

Actually I don't do anything special other than giving them deep substrate...

I'm curious, how deep are we talking? I have a lone, mated female that has never given birth for me in the 2 or so years that she's been mature. I've been keeping her on a substrate that's about 2 inches deep.