Lanxoblatta rudis (Rough Bark Roach)

Hisserdude

Got a sexed pair of nymphs and a pair of adults from @wizentrop, this may be one of the most unique roach species in my collection, hopefully they will breed for me! :D

Nymph:

Lanxoblatta%25231.JPG

Lanxoblatta%25233.JPG

Lanxoblatta%25234.JPG

Adult male:

Lanxoblatta%25235.JPG

Lanxoblatta%25236.JPG

Lanxoblatta%25237.JPG

So happy to have this species in my collection, they are just so cool looking!!! 

• Like 5

What no fair you got pairs! I got 4 nymphs from him but I’m still very happy about it. :D

1 hour ago, All About Insects said:

Awesome man, glad you were able to acquire some of these breath-takers! But why are they rude? ;) 

Thanks, me too! :D IDK, I just made that up, rudis, rude... :P

35 minutes ago, Redmont said:

What no fair you got pairs! I got 4 nymphs from him but I’m still very happy about it. :D

All you gotta do is ask LOL! :D Cool, hopefully this species will become well established in the US hobby! 

• Like 1

@wizentrop I forgot you sexed them, for some reason I thought they were unsexed, thanks again 

Those are cool. If you keep exploring the Latin word rudis, you find it means Rude, course or rough. The nymphs are definitely course or rough. So perhaps tis the Course flat bark roach or Rough flat bark roach? Gorgeous nonetheless.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Matttoadman said:

Those are cool. If you keep exploring the Latin word rudis, you find it means Rude, course or rough. The nymphs are definitely course or rough. So perhaps tis the Course flat bark roach or Rough flat bark roach? Gorgeous nonetheless.

Haha, so rude bark roach COULD be the common name! :lol: 

I think "Rough Flat Bark Roach" would be the best common name, that's just my opinion though.

1 hour ago, Matttoadman said:

WOW, "rudis" actually means "rude"?!

"Rough" would definitely be something to incorporate into the CN, but I really feel like three descriptive words overdoes it...... 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, All About Insects said:

WOW, "rudis" actually means "rude"?!

"Rough" would definitely be something to incorporate into the CN, but I really feel like three descriptive words overdoes it...... 

Rough bark roach then?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Hisserdude said:

Rough bark roach then?

We may have a winner! :D........as long as that name could be differentiated from that of any future common name for Schizopilia fissicollis. ;) 

OOH, just found a name that could apply to them or Schizopilia..........Disk Roach. B) 

I vote to keep Lanxoblatta as "Rough Bark Roach" though. lol

54 minutes ago, All About Insects said:

We may have a winner! :D........as long as that name could be differentiated from that of any future common name for Schizopilia fissicollis. ;) 

50 minutes ago, All About Insects said:

OOH, just found a name that could apply to them or Schizopilia..........Disk Roach. B) 

I vote to keep Lanxoblatta as "Rough Bark Roach" though. lol

I'll just start calling them rough bark roaches then, we'll see if it catches on! :D

Schizopilia's common name should incorporate their unique pronotum structure IMO, something like "Notched bark roach", or something like that. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

PICTURES INCOMIIIIIIING!!! :lol:

Adult pair, female on the left, male on the right:

Lanxoblatta%252310.JPG

Adult female:

Lanxoblatta%25238.JPG

Lanxoblatta%252311.JPG

Lanxoblatta%252313.JPG

Lanxoblatta%252315.JPG

Lanxoblatta%252316.JPG

Adult male:

Lanxoblatta%252314.JPG

Lanxoblatta%252320.JPG

Lanxoblatta%252321.JPG

Subadult female:

Lanxoblatta%252317.JPG

Lanxoblatta%252318.JPG

Subadult male:

Lanxoblatta%252319.JPG

Freshly molted adult male:

LanxoblattaFreshlyMolted%25231.JPG

LanxoblattaFreshlyMolted%25232.JPG

LanxoblattaFreshlyMolted%25233.JPG

• Like 1

9 hours ago, BlattaAnglicana said:

How do you tell the sexes of these apart? The males and females look exactly the same to me!

They are beautiful and very unusual, I don't think I've seen anything quite like these :)

Females are longer and wider, males are shorter and skinnier. Can be hard to tell in photos, in person it's easy though. :)

Thanks, they are very unique roaches, really hoping they'll breed for me! :)

• 1 month later...

My female is getting pretty plump now, I'm hoping this means she'll give birth soon! :D

Here are a few pictures of her and my subadult female:

L.rudis%252320.JPG

L.rudis%252321.JPG

L.rudis%252322.JPG

L.rudis%252323.JPG

• Like 2

Hooooooly smokes, my jaw literally dropped when I saw those nymphs. They look so... prehistoric, in a way. Such beautiful markings, so different than any other roach I've seen in the hobby! Please please let me know if you get nymphs!

EDIT: I apologize if this already got addressed somewhere in the thread and I didn't see it, but how big do they get?