Male domino roach excited- could he be smelling a female?

Betta132

I have an 18" cube vivarium housing some domino roaches. There's one adult male that I'm aware of, and a bunch of nymphs of mixed sizes, including a female nymph who was quite large when I saw her last. 

I've seen the male exploring fairly often, he comes out a lot in the evenings. This evening, though, he's acting really excited. He's moving fast and flickering his antennae a lot more than usual. I don't think it's distress, he's making no effort to escape, but something is clearly making him excited. 

How good is a male domino roach's sense of smell? Could it be the female nymph has morphed out somewhere and he can smell it? 

Could be that a female has matured, they do spend more time underground than the males do. Could also just be quirky behavior lol! :lol:

He hasn't gotten that excited since, but he'll occasionally stand on a high place with his antennae waving, I assume scenting for females. Now and then he'll speed up and walk around quickly for 30 seconds or so afterward. 

I still haven't seen a female, but that doesn't mean much with domino roaches. I did find a thriving colony of springtails in the wet part of the enclosure, and I learned that magnolia leaves buried slightly under the substrate will keep the substrate under them nice and damp for a long time. 

Is there anything I can do to lure domino roaches into one area to see them, maybe an especially tasty food under a piece of wood? 

Stanislas has made a graph somewhere apparently showing that nymphs are nocturnal but adults are surface-active during the day. I suspect you have no adult females yet, for this reason. To lure secretive insects in general, offer high-energy food such as fruit, bread, or fish pellets.

Red flashlights are apparently invisible to insects, and they can be made by covering a normal flashlight with red filter paper. Dim normal light also seems to go unnoticed by many insects and only frightens highly alert species.

AlexW, former "guest"

Another roach has come out, but it's a male. I think? It's pretty much identical to the existing one. They met, tapped their antennae against each other, and the slightly larger of the two made a quick bouncing motion while the smaller one hunched down into the leaves, then they went their separate ways. Not sure if that's what the exciting smell was. 

• 2 weeks later...

Well, he's doing it again, running around all over the place and climbing up onto high things. The newer, smaller male is asleep in a hiding spot, but the older one is running around trying to climb everything. I wonder if this one is maybe just weird? I'd think if something was wrong, it would be upsetting the other, and this doesn't look like a panicked run. Too much antenna waving.