Sad day - the first hisser I owned died today

BlattaAnglicana

Well, it's a sad day for me as my old original male hisser who I got over a year ago died today :( I think it was just old age, as I got him as an adult so he must have been at least 6 months to a year old when I got him, and he had slowed down noticeably over the last month or two, so although it wasn't entirely unexpected, as he was the first hisser I'd owned (along with two females which both have also since died) it's a bit sad to see him go.

Yes I know, he was "only" an insect :P, but as I had him when I only had a few roaches I had more time to watch his behaviour and get to "know" him than the ones born since into much bigger colonies, I became quite attached to the old boy!

He had been in a separate enclosure for the past few months with some adult females whose mothers came from a different colony from him. I had put them in with him as nymphs to try to increase the genetic diversity of my colony, and although I never actually saw them mating he was certainly hissing a lot at them until he started slowing down a month or so ago, and a couple of them look like they might be pregnant, so I am hopeful his legacy will yet live on :)

Aww, sorry to hear that. :( Glad it was just old age though, and it sounds like he had a good life! :) Hopefully he mated with some of those females, and he will live on through his offspring!

Thanks Hisserdude, that's what I'm hoping and a couple of the females (there were five in with him and he was the only male - so yes he certainly had a good life!!) definitely look rather fat, which I'm hoping is a sign of pregnancy rather than just overeating!!

He certainly gave me a lot of fun watching him hissing and chasing the females around the cage when he was still in his prime a few months ago, so he may be gone now but he definitely won't be forgotten :)

I think a proper roach Burial is in order