Reputable Reptile/Amphibian dealers?

Matttoadman

Can anyone suggest any reputable online dealers of amphibians they have dealt with before? I’m looking to find another toad species. I have dealt with LLLreptile and have always received healthy specimens although not always ID’d correctly. But I am wanting to know if there are any others worth looking at. I have dealt with snakes at sunset (5 Pacman frogs bought only one lived passed three months) so they are a no go. There are a few others that pop up and they get bad reviews. Feel free to let me know which to avoid. Thanks

• Like 1

Maybe see what the herp experts suggest on their forums of residence? 

I know many "common plecos" (often Pterygoplichthys pardalis) are marketed and sold as algae eaters, but soon either die (lack of feeding) or end up outgrowing the tank and do not meet a good fate. Luckily, the roach hobby is still too small to attract much attention, so we don't have similar disasters occurring at a large scale.

I’ve tried those other forums. Very little response if any. This is the only forum worth being on. I know we are invert guys, but I figure there’s a few frog guys out there.

EHH, I wouldn't count on that! I appreciate the Summoning, but I'm afraid I'm still too much of a novice in the hobby, and I won't lie about that! I may have gotten a strong start into my hobbies (reptile keeping and horticulture, mainly. inverts of course, but not nearly as well as the other two) due to my too many years of research and talking to people, but I have a lot more to learn and I wouldn't say I know too much. Sorry!! But I won't make things up or exaggerate my experience/knowledge. c:>

Still, reading this, regarding toads specifically I'm not sure, but frogs in general I have one suggestion. Josh's Frogs has been fantastic to work with so far. I haven't bought animals yet, but I hear good things about them, and they've been around long enough to make a name for themselves. I also like that they are at least really serious about how they ship their plants and inverts, and I've only had one plant get injured in shipping out of the Too Many times I've ordered. For amphibians, they mainly sell dart frogs, but recently they implemented their "certified breeder program" and are offering a few more new species, including hourglass tree frogs and pac man frogs. If you're looking to get more of those, this might be a good place to try. They also have a few other cool non-dendrobatid species...I'm partial to the solomon island leaf frogs (if they didn't bark like a small dog, that is!), borneo eared frogs, and the mossy frogs. Vietnamese mossy frogs especially are very handsome in person, and their call is pretty cute.

Maybe not quite what you're looking for, but it's worth a shot! Otherwise I'd suggest hitting up dendroboard, but it sounds like you've already asked on other places.

• Like 1

Noise level is a big issue with many species of frogs. My terrarium is in my living room and the bedrooms off of it. So a noisy frog is out of the question. Right now I am leaning towards tomato frogs or axolotl ( yeah not a toad lol;) I will probably find them at a reptile expo. 

• 2 weeks later...

The more I have gotten into reptiles/amphibians over the years the more I am drawn to inverts. There are no real draw backs to captivity for and invert if you provide its needs.