Diurnal isopods?

Betta132

Are there any isopods that can be seen out and about when their enclosure is lit by ambient room light? I'd really like to set up an itty-bitty isopod vivarium for display purposes, maybe even something multi-layered to look like the inside of a fallen log, and I'd like to be able to actually see the lil guys. Could probably set up something really cool-looking with cork bark as structure and actual rotting wood as food. 

Most species are rather secretive, even the more active Spanish isopods. Like Allpet roaches suggested, if you make it so that their only hides are ones that are pressed up against the enclosure walls, you'll always be able to see them. :)

• 3 years later...
On 11/18/2017 at 7:24 PM, Betta132 said:

Are there any isopods that can be seen out and about when their enclosure is lit by ambient room light? I'd really like to set up an itty-bitty isopod vivarium for display purposes, maybe even something multi-layered to look like the inside of a fallen log, and I'd like to be able to actually see the lil guys. Could probably set up something really cool-looking with cork bark as structure and actual rotting wood as food. 

Heyy! if you’re still looking, which you probably aren’t, in my experience armadillidium nasatum is more active during the day than at night, and i find their most active hours to be in the morning and at sunset than anything. i have a display colony right now and every time i look in there i see at very least 5 of the little dudes!! even better, they breed pretty fact and are absolutely beautiful in my opinion. you may be able to find some outside if you look, but my suggestion is to start a breeding colony from the wild ones if you’re desperate to find them outside and then use the second or third generation isopods in your display enclosure! i’ve bred some different morphs into my wild colony including the peach and red morphs and some cooler ones like the pearl and dalmatian looking ones!! 

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

I'm glad I found this thread, thanks for the information.  I'm waiting for my isopods to arrive.